People claim developers make iphone games in 2-3 days, dev lie about cost!!

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by kgames, Jun 16, 2013.

1. kgames macrumors regular

2. Bear macrumors G3

While I think some games could be made in a short time, a lot more take a long time. There's artwork t create, game mechanics to work out, sounds to create, etc.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The people posting to that site appear to be teenagers or younger, have no experience of writing code and, in all honesty, have no idea what they are talking about at all. I'd ignore it completely and utterly.

4. takeshi74 macrumors 601

As always, consider the source. Unless the people making such comments are coders they don't know what they're talking about.

5. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

All of this is a load of rubbish.

It takes about 10 lines of code to output 'Hello World' to a screen. Small, 'simple' apps, take hundreds of lines and most normal programs take thousands.

6. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Those kids think like my dad. :rolleyes:

Could you push out a game in 2-3 days? Yes. Could you push one out in a hour? Yes. That's the reason why they have those 24 hour competitions to do so.

Back in the day, programmers used to rent a computer a bit to write out code that they had written on paper for days, and now just needed to get it into a file itself.

But those aren't games worth putting out anymore. No one wants to spend money on a half baked idea either.

There are engines like Unity and Unreal Engine, but you STILL have to put the work into it.

And those tools cost MONEY, not so much Unity anymore, but others can cost you up to $5,000. Not to mention that if you're using something like Maya, which is industry standard, it's $3,675. There's others too, like Blender, but the reason I don't use it is because it's a PITA to use, kinda like GIMP vs Photoshop in a way.

And this is why we use storyboards, and learn how to use the software correctly, because if you don't, you're going to have a complete NIGHTMARE later on (been there, done that, have the finished 3 minute project that took 18 hours to render).

Visual Programming makes it much easier, but it's still not remotely plug and play. More like, you spend weeks, months, or years crafting the idea, and then spend the rest of the time scripting.

<-- Is currently working with a visual programming language and using the tools I have available.

PS - Autocorrect in Mavericks SUCKS!

7. kgames thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah your right but this is the comment that made me say *************

" Yeah honestly I have no expereince making games. I downloaded xcode just to try it out cause developers said it was hard. In one day I made a game from start to finish. I love fighting games so I took some graphics from streetfighter and in one day I made streetfighter alphaX3.. In a week I made like 20 games and some of them were console quality. If I wanted to I could be a millionare but I feel like its unskilled labor and I want no part of it. Dont buy games make your own games it easy. In Xcode there is a button that takes voice commands so like if I want to shoot fireball's from ryu I just say shoot fireballs and the xcode types the code in for me. Xcode does all the work you just press voice command button and it type code in based on what you say. "

He made 20 games in 1 week , yet he can be a millionare but doesnt want any part because its unskilled labor??WTF!!

8. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I'm pretty sure that comment is meant to be a joke: everything he typed is a lie. It goes without saying XCode does not have any voice commands at all...