People complaining about pricing.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by david84j, Jul 8, 2008.

1. david84j macrumors newbie

I am getting in to arguments all the time with ignorant people that feel cheated with the iphone pricing. I feel as if they deserve some kind of explanation to justify their ignorance/stupidity towards the matter. I really don't think that the iphone price for the device or the monthly service is bad. LETS make a website to refer the iphone haters to.

People hate the camera, buy a freaking camera. People hate the word editing (Copy/paste). I feel defenseless cant find a way to explain that its just how it is. Its not a camera/phone/word editor. It is an internet device/phone/mp3 player.

I am bad at making websites. Never have done it.
    But someone please come up with something. The iphone hater website.

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

Nice first post... People come here to complain about something. Get used to it.

3. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

I'm sorry, but the new iPhone plans are outrageous. Cheap upfront, nickel-and-dimed in the rear...

4. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

I get so confused every time I hear this. They are the same as EVERY SMART PHONE WITH AT&T!!!! How are iPhone users getting screwed? You're getting and paying for the same thing?

Maybe I'd think you're justified if you said AT&T screws all smartphone users.

5. aethelbert macrumors 601

You should move to Canada and sign a contract with Rogers. I think that you'd like their pricing/services better.

6. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

No...the plans are not the same. They may add up to be the about the same price...but they are not the same plans.

I have a current Smartphone plan. All current AT&T smartphone plans use separate voice and data plans. The iPhone is the first to use a unified voice and data plan. You cannot get that with any other phone right now.

My current plan is a 450 minute voice plan at about $40/mo, unlimited Media Net Dataplan at about $15/mo, with text messages disabled. My previous data plan had 1500 Text messages and unlimited data and ran me $30/mo. I just switched the plan like a week ago. If they offered the same unified data plan to all smartphone users, I would have been an ideal candidate for it since I didn't want text messaging. Instead I got the Media Net Unlimited plan with Text messaging disabled.

The prices are about the same...though you lose text messages if you try to get the same price.

Canada and New Zealand have it much worse than the US...Canada has outrageus pricing for the plans they get. New Zealand is better but is still very restrictive on voice/data.

7. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

+1

Honestly the following is my rebuttal to the unwashed masses;
    1. Camera`s are NOT permitted in 2/3 of the buildings on campus, why does it matter? The rest of time I ask them to please show me their photo album on the phone and they shut up cause they have ZERO pictures and they admit they hardly if ever take them using a cellphone.

2. Price; When asked what they paid for BB/Palm/HTC/<insert model> they admit it was between $99 and $300 then when further asked what the data pkg. cost they blink a few times and say Uhhh $30 or there abouts.
    Yep, Price is a moot point.

3. No Video Camera/Front Facing camera;
    See item 1 above.

4. Copy Paste;
    ok this is valid point as admitted to by many many people. Personally its NOT a deal breaker for me.

5. MMS; App Store or native app in the near future. I will now run like hell before the flame throwers activate.

6. No expandable memory;
    When asked what their phones memory cap is the response is 'Uhhh I don't know 1 gig?' or Uhhh well i lost the SD Micro card but what ever they hold. So yeah my 8/16 gig iPhone has a memory issue...
    Ohh yeah notice the I lost the SD Micro card, yeah that is great for ease of data transfer to PCs :p

7. You can't watch TV/stream Video or D/L Music.
    There is a Slingbox app under development enough said. But No i can't watch AT&Ts crappy video/tv streams.
    Yeah I want to pay $3.95* a song from AT&T nothing more need be said there.

8. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

I'll clarify. 3G smartphone plans. Currently there are not those options for 3G plans, as I am aware of. The only reason they are "unified" is because you must have a voice and data plan to get the subsidised price.

9. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

I live in the United States of America. If I want to complain I will do so at any time and any place I so choose.

10. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

oh yeah. the new rates suck all over the world, especially canada and new zealand. they're getting screwed.

This is the cost difference for me: $45 for data for business plus another $20 for 1500 SMS vs. $30 for data and 1500 SMS. That's another $840 over 2 years. Subtract the subsidy and that's an over $600 increase. That's not even including the "upgrade" fee and any other hidden costs that crop up.

But it could be worse, I could want an iPhone and live in New Zealand or Canada. :eek:

11. aristobrat macrumors G5

What phone do you have?
    Is Medianet still available for it?

When I add a PDA/smartphone to the basket on ATT.com, the only data plan shown is the $30/month unlimited one. I don't see Medianet ones.

Edit: I only see Medianet plans offered for regular phones, not the PDA/smartphones listed on AT&T's site.

12. joekun macrumors regular

All data plans are overpriced for smartphones. That's the reason I've never bought one before. At least with the original iphone the price came down to a more reasonable level. I'm still getting the 3g, because I want it, not because it's a great deal.

13. david84j thread starter macrumors newbie

Complain = Bitch

Complain is just another word for bitch about something. Let us enjoy the thunder and buy what we want.

14. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

The only thing that pissed me off is the lack of included text messaging.

15. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

I only have one issue with those who complain about the "half-price" claim: There's no logic.

Based on their complaint, here's the iPhone 3G at half-price:

iPhone: $199 (Previously $399)
    Monthly voice plan: $20 (Previously $40)
    Monthly Data and Text: $10 (Previously $20)

I'm pretty sure that not a single person expected those prices and obviously that wasn't going to happen. So why are you including AT&T's plan pricing with the iPhone's price?

Apple can influence the cost of the phone and they got it down to half price under certain conditions. The rest is up to AT&T and has nothing to do with Apple.

If we were in a country with multiple carriers, I don't think this would have been as big of an issue because the carriers would offer different plans. Consumers would see the iPhone as $199 and they would evaluate the plan separately - as it should be. Apple ≠ AT&T.

And yes it sucks that AT&T is charging their normal rates now. However, they're also allowing their regular student and business discounts, which for me means a small cost increase of $4 per iPhone per month.

16. gibbz macrumors 68030

Thank you, skwoytek. There is finally some common sense and logic in pricing discussions.

17. joekun macrumors regular

It IS apple's fault that we don't have a choice in carriers. They chose to sign a pretty lengthy exclusivity deal with AT&T, and I blame them for that.

18. butterfly0fdoom macrumors 6502a

When you look at the current iPhone's billing, it's the voice plan and then the data plan (which is just the $20 Media.net plan under a different name). The billing for the iPhone 3G will have the same separation.

19. MattyK macrumors 6502a

MattyK

Hey its me!

20. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

Doesn't change the fact that Apple and AT&T are two separate companies who each have their own device/infrastructure goals, operational costs and therefore determine their own pricing. Besides, the other carriers have plenty of opportunity to compete on rates, but in the end only Sprint's offerings are noticeably cheaper - and they're losing customers faster than any other U.S. carrier.

Finally, who exactly would Apple offer the iPhone 3G to - no other major carrier supports the iPhone's 3G in the U.S. The same is not true in other countries. Can Apple help it if half the carriers in the U.S. use a less popular and not-so-international wireless standard, while the only other major GSM carrier has 3G data that's not even worth mentioning.

21. bobbba macrumors regular

The rest of the world has noticed! ;)

22. Jowl macrumors 6502

I'm pretty happy with the plans in the UK.

As for phone features - people have the right to voice their opinion - Apple need to know we want better camera, MMS, video recording etc.

It's supposed to be a top end phone and misses out on some of the features of even basic phones.

Having said that, I've made my (informed) choice - Camera isn't great but just about good enough for what I generally need. MMS - I hardly send any and receive less than 3 a year normally. Video recording - yeah, I'll miss that a little,

But I've weighed it up against the Data, Internet, e-mail and GPS. Those features are more important to me and I can live without the others. I do thing a phone of this class should have them though.

23. vega07 macrumors 65816