People familiar with laser printers

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Wirenut, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Wirenut macrumors regular

I really didn't know where to put this other than the general section.

I have a Brother laser printer with wireless networking built in. It's been on my desk for the last 5 years, but I am all digital now so I barely ever use it. I may need to print something out once every month or two, so I'd like to keep it.

I have space on an upper shelf in my bedroom closet, and I also have an outlet there for the cable box (the TV is hung on the other side of the wall).

My question is this: will a laser printer let out any of that black toner powder and stain my clothes if I put it in the closet?

2. Zenithal macrumors 604

No, it won't. Especially if you use an OEM cartridge. The only main concern would be that if you live in a humid climate, the powder inside may "compact," but that is a non-issue these days. Much like you, I also use Brother lasers. It'll go months without printing, and sometimes I'll place the small unit I keep around in addition to the larger AIOs in a closet or storage box. I'm still on the intro cartridge of the small cheap model with wifi I bought about four years ago. :)

Hope that helps.

3. kohlson macrumors 68000

Do you want to store it there, or use it there? If the former, putting in a box or plastic garbage bag will keep distilled and cloth fibers from getting into the printer.

4. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

Yeah, we've got a Brother 2340D, compact enough it easily fits on a shelf in my office, but still very full featured, Wifi, Airprint, duplex printing, terrific output - falls into one of those "Best $xxx I ever spent" categories.

5. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

6. Zenithal macrumors 604

Definitely. I've always been a fan of their stuff. They have a no BS approach. Easy for the average person to repair the stuff or swap out components, too. Sure, their stuff looks boring, but who needs eyecatchy stuff?

7. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

It depends. Typically that wouldn't happen, but over lots of printing and time there can be toner leak buildup like dust within the printer, and if you move the printer to unusual angles it is possible for that buildup to shift and leak out. I say this as a former IT support guy.

I only ever experienced this at work though--I don't think the printing needs of a typical household would lead to that kind of buildup.