People have me freaked out about 10.5.3

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jmFightSpam, May 30, 2008.

1. jmFightSpam macrumors regular

Has anyone had any good experiences with it? Now that it is in the wild, what great things does it solve that you *actually notice* -- not what Apple says it fixes.

I have heard many *bad* things about it (no wireless, can't boot, etc.). So I am not sure if I should install it or not.

I suppose it is probably good to SuperDuper before the installation, I would imagine.

2. Queso macrumors G4

I've installed onto both my Alu iMac and my MacBook Pro without issues. All the programs I use still seem to work and wireless connects quite happily on both. By all means do the SuperDuper backup, since that never hurts, but I think you'll be fine.

3. Mitch1984 macrumors 6502

Mitch1984

Mines fine and always is after updates. The thing is your gonna hear more critism than praise. People aren't going to make the effort and say everythings fond and dandy when they don't need to but when it goes wrong I guess people the need to complain.

However haven't tried cs3 yet u set 10.5.3. Heard that's bad. I have the 1st intel iMac.

4. Theturk macrumors member

This is my reply copied from another thread.

I have no idea what everyone is going on about. I truly think that most, and I stress most people with problems caused them themselves by previous faults in the OS from upgrades or applications or whatever.

Here's what I'm seeing personally.

I have a MacBook Pro, the new Macbook Touchpad. 2.4Ghz, 4Gb ram. I updated from 10.5.2 without a single problem. When it first booted after the upgrade, it reached the apple logo, then restarted one more time (which is normal based on Apple Support's word). Took about 1min or bit less at the apple screen with the spinning loader then it booted in normally.

For the first 30seconds or minute the kernel probably was being updated and the macbook was busy working. Afterwards, the CPU calmed down and I started using it .

The smudgy and blurry text problem is completely gone. Which is a HUGE relief for me. It was annoying the crap out of me. Shutting down, starting up and sleeping is a bit faster. Most noticeable speed change is the shutting down process. It's faster by around 3-4 seconds.

My AirPort is working great and after being connected for about 7 hours after the update the internet is still working perfectly and hasn't cut once. The only orphan game I have on my MacBook is working great and am having no problems with it what so ever.

Basically, I haven't noticed 1 problem. I always used to check disk for errors, and am very careful on what I install on my mac. So I know my MBP was in perfect condition, and as a result I didn't have 1 single problem.

Also, the overall speed is different. It's a bit faster and things are, or "snappier" as some like to put it lol.

Worked(ing) great for me. Cheers Apple!

PS : Audio distortion and popping sounds seems to be solved!

5. Theturk macrumors member

What exactly is the problem with CS3? I just opened a poster I'm working on. It's 2 meters by 1 meter. It's huge, editing fine. Also, CS3 flash is working good with no errors what so ever.

What kinds of errors are being reported? I'll try to recreate them.

6. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I'm having zero issues with it on my iMac and MacBook.

7. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a

I have no problems with the 10.5.3 update. Spotlight will reindex your drive after booting up the first time, so expect high CPU usage and some sluggishness. But that will be over in a few minutes.

If you want to be extra cautious, get the Combo Update from http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macosx1053comboupdate.html.

8. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Since installing 10.5, I have had my first kernel panic, copying of my camera's SD card locks up Finder (repeatedly, even after reboots) and things are just generally unstable (app crashes, etc).

I have fixed permission, but to no avail. MP Early 2008 with 8 GB or RAM.

9. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

After installing 10.5.3, any Photoshop CS3 files you save over a network will be corrupted.

Not a problem for people who use Version Cue or work locally and copy to network storage later, but for everyone else it's a disaster.

10. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

I'm glad to say that I haven't had any problems. (or at least not as yet)

11. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Works perfectly. In fact it feels more stable than 10.5.2 too me.

12. KurtangleTN macrumors 6502a

Why even both taking the risk for pratically fixes.

At the best you might perform just as well as you did prior.

I installed it, as usual expecting an Apple update to be quality, but I've had my first Kernal Panic (4 now with this update) for seemingly no reason, Wireless which was once strong is now weak and unstable, and overall it seems slower.

Thanks Apple, it's like a taste of Windows.

Now just like the old days, I'm most likely going to need to reinstall.

Sweet job :apple:

13. leodavinci0 macrumors 6502

Everything is fine her too. Wireless does seem stronger and faster, although it could be just me. One improvement I found involves those who use another mac as a wireless router. Before the update you had to turn off the firewall on the mac to connect with the iPhone. Now you don't need to.

14. jmFightSpam thread starter macrumors regular

Original Poster here...

Well, after a SuperDuper SmartUpdate, I went ahead and took the plunge and installed 10.5.3.

The installation seems to have went without a hitch and I am up and running.

I am not sure what to look for as far as improvements are concerned to see if it was worthwhile, but it doesn't seem I am any more worse for wear than with 10.5.2.

15. Manfred21 macrumors newbie

I installed 10.5.3 the other day and i am recently having problems shutting down... it will not shut down.. i leave it on over night and in the morning it is still on my desktop with the little tick thingy in the middle which u see during boot up. Any thoughts? 2.4 GHz MBP with the Touchpad.

16. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

17. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

18. KVH macrumors newbie

Only thing I have noticed.... don't laugh........ Virtual PC on Quad G5 seems to be very slow now. Didn't notice it before. Only use it for windows only URC remote control software.

19. Ludde macrumors regular

No issues at all on my late 2006 Macbook. Runs like a charm.

20. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Updated my 4 year old PowerBook using the combo updater. No problems at all. (Uptime's now 2 days, 1 hour)

21. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture