People kinda need to hold off being too excited for the Surface Book.

Discussion in 'Alternatives to Mac Hardware' started by TechGod, Oct 6, 2015.

1. TechGod, Oct 6, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2015

TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

The Surface Book has a dual core CPU with an unspecified NVIDEA GPU. And they're saying it "beats" the rMBP????

They also claimed two more processors...what does that mean? It surely can't be a quad core CPU since we've identified it as a dual core chip (because it uses HD 520 which is present in 15 watt dual core configs typically)

Does it mean two clusters of two cores each? That's not feasible. How will the heat be dissipated? They gave us basically nothing to work with here...

2. MindsEye macrumors regular

Feel the same way, config to config vs the rMBP 13" & 15" for me it just doesn't seem to hold the mustard. It has its advantages being a 2 in 1 so it can double as a tablet and has a digitizer. Personally though at 13.5" 3:2 , having used a 13.3" @ 16:9, pen users aside, this thing is going to be a little too unwieldy to be used as a tablet, especially in landscape.

Wont be upgrading my 2012 cMBP for a few years but once the rMBP get there Skylake refresh for me its better value for money.

3. TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

4. TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

This doesn't detract from how amazing this laptop is. Feels like Microsoft has become the new Apple especially with the guy that presented...

5. Surf Donkey Suspended

Surf Donkey

Yeah, someone over at Reddit did a thorough analysis trying to add it up as well:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/gadgets/comments/3nsa5k/surface_book_something_does_not_add_up_with_the/

I agree it is worrisome. But as you said, still innovative and it will improve from this first iteration if it sells.

6. TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

His claim of an unknown second CPU is slightly...absurd. As I mentioned previously, for this thing to have two CPUs, it would have to have amazing in terms of heat dissipation. I just don't understand...

7. Klyster macrumors 6502a

Klyster

8. TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

Really? That's the only comment you make? One that's not even entirely correct at that?

Attached Files:

9. grkm3 macrumors 6502a

It's the first skylake u mobile chip out 15watt tdp and its a dual core with hyperthreading so it can run 4 threads like a quad core

10. TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

Erm what? The Broadwell chipsets also support hyperthreading...

11. TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

Is it possible that it is a custom GPU from NVIDEA?

12. FFR macrumors 6502a

FFR

If it were I'm sure Microsoft would have had a slide on it.

13. TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

I'm extremely puzzled then. Where are they pulling this two times better performance number from?

14. placidity44 macrumors 6502

placidity44

I'd rather get a refurbished 2015 rMBP and an iPad Pro. I get OS X and more power, and iOS and a proper tablet and save some money compared to the high end model. I think Microsoft had a great presentation and i'm pumped to see the surfacebook in a year or two.

15. TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

I personally think this Surface Book is gonna be great in the coming generations. Just wish they would remove that gap between the keyboard and screen.

16. placidity44 macrumors 6502

placidity44

I'm excited to play around with one at a bestbuy or somewhere. One things for certain though the competition is great for us consumers. My dream is that Apple makes a similar yet different device where an iPad Pro like display is connected to a butterfly mechanism keyboard with a force touch glass trackpad, and the internals are in there. You snap the iPad Pro like device to the keyboard and it's running OS X, you take it off its on iOS instantaneously. I'd like OS X when I need it and take the device off and...boom iOS for content consumption. I don't like the idea of merging OS X and iOS to one operating system.

17. Zirel Suspended

Zirel

If it were a custom GOU from nVidia, it still wouldn't break the laws of physics...

18. TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

So like how Windows does Continuum? :p

19. Zirel Suspended

Zirel

Continuum is not like continuity.

20. John Mcgregor Suspended

John Mcgregor

Out of the ass. Like always. Apple included.

21. TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

The previous poster said:
    This sounds exactly like how Continuum adapts the UI of the app depending on what peripherals are connected

22. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm still impressed with the SurfaceBook. Like the SP3, I'll wait until its actually in people's hands before making a decision on it.

I don't think the top end model at 2,600 is worth the price. At that point why not by a 15" rMBP for 2,500. 200 dollars cheaper, you get a quad core processor and a larger display.

23. grkm3 macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure what was said about 2 cores but its most likely the dedicated graphics card gpu they are talking about.

Also Intel is charging 400 just for the chip and if it has a separate gpu from nvidias that adds to the price as well .

24. Klyster macrumors 6502a

Klyster

Okay, I'm also quite excited about the new Microsoft products, including the Surface and its Nvidia processor. . . .