People on AT&T using a NON-AT&T phone (like Verizon), did you register your IMEI?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HXGuyAZ, Sep 22, 2014.

1. HXGuyAZ macrumors 6502

For the people who bought a Verizon phone and are using it on AT&T, did you call to update the IMEI on your account with AT&T? Is it necessary? Would it even work or will they say the phone is not one of theirs?

2. Halamire macrumors regular

Halamire

I brought my Verizon iPhone 5S and they asked for my IMEI, but it worked perfectly fine with ATT

3. HXGuyAZ thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok so seems it shouldnt be a problem.

Now is there a point to registering the IMEI with AT&T? Does it actually do anything?

4. Stein357 macrumors 6502

If you have an IEMI on your account for an only 4G phone without LTE you'd need to have the IEMI updated, otherwise it doesn't matter.

5. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

it allows data to work with certain older sim cards

6. hughiee macrumors member

I registered the IMEI with AT&T to update the device on record for insurance coverage I suppose.

7. HXGuyAZ thread starter macrumors 6502

New iPhone 6 from Verizon registered on AT&T? And they didn't say anything like "Hmm, looks like that's not an AT&T phone"?

8. terraphantm macrumors 68040

AT&T doesn't care. A big part of GSM is that carriers can't dictate what phones are and aren't allowed

9. Halamire macrumors regular

Halamire

I think they register your IMEI just in case you lose it or it gets stolen so you can black list it so no one can use it

10. terraphantm macrumors 68040

They know the IMEI as soon as you pop the SIM in. The only thing they might not know is what kind of phone it is.