Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DrSarah

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 24, 2020
Vlaardingen, The Netherlands
Hello People,

i was wondering if there were people here on the forum who use both a 11” iPad Pro and a 12.9“ iPad pro.

The reason i am asking this is because myself i own a 11” iPad Pro and i just received the Magic Keyboard for it and it is amazing.
i can take it everywhere in my handbag because it is so “small”. For some reason, i would like to also have a 12.9“ but i can not realy justify a good reason for it.

I already have a Mac Mini i7/32GB/500GB with a 4K display and a MacBook Pro 13” 2018 i5/8gb/500 to do the job on the go. I Just really like iPad OS and the new keyboard is just amazing. I could say, get rid of the MacBook pro but i like that it is full MacOS and that i can boot in to Windows when needed for work, i love this machine too!

So the question is / TLDR: Why do you have the 11“ and the 12,9” iPad Pro and what is your use case? I am very interested!

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
I legit struggle with this sometimes. The 11 inch ipad is just SO damn good as a tablet. It couldn’t be more perfect size wise for just walking around the house even. Just walk around the kitchen holding it and plop down on the couch and just read apple news on it like the morning news paper. Watch some kitty tik toks. It’s just...ugh. Perfect.

But then i put it in the magic keyboard case and it feels good. As long as I’m reallyyyy close to it. If i put it on the arm rest of the couch, its cool! Lay down on the bed with it in front of me, cool! With it at a desk? Boy it feels small.

My ideal but cant justify scenario: use the 11inch butt naked as my walk around tablet. When i wanna sit down at a desktop or use something more like a “laptop”, have the 12 incher in the smart keyboard and ready to go. Switch as needed.

Reactions: kht410 and xxray

pshady

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2005
los angeles
If you have a desktop workspace connect your 11-inch iPad Pro to an external monitor and you are good for a larger screen.

Macintosh101

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2017
I have both and use them for different things. My 12.9 I do the majorly of my work on. I use it 99% of the time in landscape mode with a Keyblard and trackpad. I use the 11 much more as a conventional tablet, for reading, taking notes, etc, which I much prefer in that form factor.

Reactions: lax28

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I have both and use them for different things. My 12.9 I do the majorly of my work on. I use it 99% of the time in landscape mode with a Keyblard and trackpad. I use the 11 much more as a conventional tablet, for reading, taking notes, etc, which I much prefer in that form factor.

What type of work do you use the 12.9” for?! Artistic or more like a desktop setup?!

Macintosh101

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2017
More like a desktop setup. I use it for recording a weekly podcast; writing work reports (I have to do a lot of writing), etc etc.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I tried it but just didn’t work for me. I felt i used my £1300 pro max a lot less which for me was like what the hell? So i have decided my pro and 12.9 is the best combo

gave the iPad Pro 11 inch to my wife who then stole the Apple Pencil so least it gets good use.

Petey07

macrumors regular
May 30, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area
I just got my 12.9 IPP 2020 today and I can say wow owl would, upgraded from the first iPad Air 1gen... I was hesitant with which screen size, but the price different between the two is why I got the 12.9, it was a little more for the bigger screen. While it’s getting use to, but I am adjusting to the big screen. I’m still decisive about getting the magic key board and pencil, but I might get it soon to help ease the view angle (using one knee being up... in bed lol to type this) and easier and faster to type & navigate with the keyboard.

im using it for mainly leisure... but earlier today, I tried to use it for work (Accountant, primarily deal with excel), it seems doable (having external keyboard and mouse (I think a trackpad would work better than a mouse) along with an external monitor), but it seems the iPad excel version is limited comparing to the macos excel. It might be good for reviewing work, but I need the full version of excel to do work.

So I need my MBA and MBP for work, while iPP for leisure lol. but all devices are powerful to handle the Program at ease.

Reactions: Precursor

emembee

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2013
Surrey,UK
I’m in same quandary as OP. I am v happy with my 10.5 so can‘t justify the 11 yet as seems little point As usage would be same. I use mine with BT keyboard and Magic Mouse but there are downsides to the software, even using jump desktop to my MBP still causes issues with clicking and scrolling. Love the Apple Pencil for notes and brainstorming too. I am not sure the 12.9 would be any better functionally but I do want a bigger screen so I can see having it alongside my 10.5, using the 12.9 as main on desk but not as portable (which I can use when out as have cellular - a must IMO).

millydog

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2007
Australia
I have the 12.9” (2018) and 10.5” iPP. I don’t have the 11”, but my setup is similar to what you are asking about.

Ever since the first 12.9” came out, I’ve had a hard time deciding between the two sizes. The first few releases were staggered and I ended up getting both. (12.9”, then 9.7”). After that, I just couldn’t decide and when the 2017 models came out, I ended up upgrading both with a month between purchases. When the 2018 Pros came out, I decided to upgrade just the 12.9 as I felt that the smaller size of the 3rd gen (from the 2017 12.9) was the most beneficial upgrade for me. So I kept the 10.5 and got the new 12.9. I’ve since upgraded my mini 2 to the mini 5 as well.

I like them all, but I do kind of wish that I had just one size and that I was happy with it. As much as I like the mini 5, for me, it wouldn’t be the one that I’d pick as my main iPad and I like one a bit larger, plus it doesn’t come with as much storage as the others.

I did not upgrade either iPad when the Pros were announced this year as I couldn’t justify the cost vs benefit, even for me, the yearly upgrader. But I have my eye on the new Magic Keyboard, so that will satisfy that itch.

So now I am having a hard time deciding whether to get the 12.9” Magic Keyboard which I can use with the 12.9” 2018 that I have already, or whether to wait until next year as I have been considering whether to get the 11” next year or not.

I have the Brydge Pro for my 12.9” and an ASK for my 10.5”. I liked the ASK for the 10.5” and regretted not just getting the SKF for the 12.9” instead of the Brydge Pro. Not only did I have to wait a long time for it to arrive, but I have found it heavy and awkward to insert and remove the iPad from it. The new MK solves that issue and has more benefits.

However, the cost of the MK is $499 (11”) or $589 (12.9”) in Australia, so one is expensive enough, let alone buying both.
So I need to decide which one to get and I plan on it lasting me around 5 years if I can. This is why I am trying to decide between which model will get the keyboard and therefore become my main device.

The options that I am considering are:
1. Buy the 12.9” MK now. I could still add the 11” next year, but would just get a Smart Cover and not a keyboard.
2. Keep my current configuration for now. Buy the 11”, a Smart Cover and the MK (11”) when the 3rd gen models are released. Still have my 12.9”, but it would mostly stay at home.

Considerations are that I have a MacBook Pro too, so I have a larger device for typing on already, so do I really need another keyboard if it’s not going to leave the house and potentially, the 12.9” keyboard would mostly stay at home. The 11” would be more likely to go to work with me and out and about, so then would I be better off getting the MK for that iPad. On the other hand, the MK would be best on the 12.9” as it’s a bit larger, wouldn’t it? These are the things going on in my head and I am having a hard time with it. Right now, I have purchased and cancelled the 12.9” MK in the Apple Store app twice and have it on order again. I am actually quite a mess with this and feel undecided still.

• Love
Reactions: LizKat

shoppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2007
Hants
I use the 12.9 a lot to enjoy content and now FaceTiming family. I dont draw but my wide does, my pencil gets used for doddlibg playing noughts and cross, hangman etc. I have the smart folio keyboard and am waiting for my new magic keyboard. Not sure why; but I want it.

Dmacaussie

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2020
Posted this on another thread:

So I have a duel iPad set up at home. 12.9 on desk with a stand to raise it and Magic Trackpad and a keyboard. I use this for heavy lifting, multitasking, “serious work”. It’s ergonomic, screen size is large enough and I get work done. For travel, couch, playing games, coffee shop work I kept my old 10.5 (similar form factor to the 11) with Smart Keyboard. It also sits next to my 12.9 on the desk and is a reference screen (calendar, control music, Things 3 to do list, etc) while I am working with the 12.9. I am doing an MBA part time online and use both iPads for watching lectures online on the 12.9 while taking notes on notability on the 10.5. I write assignments on the 12.9 but have written assignments on the 10.5 when assignments have been due when Ive been overseas for work or on a holiday with my family.

I am typing this on the 10.5 but that’s because I’m on the couch watching TV, if I was at my desk I would be doing it on the 12.9. Ultimately it depends on what you want the iPad to do for you. A second iPad (the cheaper Air or basic iPad) would be effective as a second “mobile” machine complimenting a 12.9 if you could justify the use of both devices. I don’t have a computer at home and loathe bringing my work laptop (a surface pro) home with me.

DrSarah

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 24, 2020
Feels like there is actually no real usage to have both iPad’s if you are also having a stationary machine like the Mac Mini at home and a MacBook pro at work. So the best decision to make is to not buy the 12.9”, i am perfectly happy with my 11”.

But something in me says,, i just want it? XD Thanks all for the replies, hope to hear some more stories.

Reactions: LizKat

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
Doing all work on a 12.9” iPad, barring financial constraints, is insane. If you value your time even one whit, please get a 27” iMac and discover what real productivity is.

Back to the topic ... having owned both, the 12.9” got used around the house if I knew I was going to be sitting down in one place for a while, desk or laptop style. It was probably best at the dinner table or on the couch. At my computer desk or in bed, the 11” is slightly better for me because it doesn’t take up as much desk or nightstand space, and it’s easier to move around with one hand.

On the go, it’s a tough call and depends on how productive you feel like you need to be and how much you value tablet mode. The 11” is the best all-rounder ... it’s a Swiss army knife that can do everything and go almost anywhere. The 12.9” has a nice big screen, but you aren’t going to be curling up in bed with it or taking it to as many places. You need to be sitting up and paying attention to get the extra value out of it.

Nikhil72

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2005
Doing all work on a 12.9” iPad, barring financial constraints, is insane. If you value your time even one whit, please get a 27” iMac and discover what real productivity is.

Why does this nonsense come up so often? I have been able to use my iPad for all my work and personal needs for 2 years now. I do my patient charts via my EMR’s app, do all my reading (medical textbooks and journal articles in PDF) and note taking with it, respond to patient messages via safari throughout the day, and then when work is done, financial management, photo editing, media consumption, etc are fantastic on an iPad. Not everyone are coders or number crunchers, so don’t assume your narrow minded interpretation of real productivity applies universally. Why do I need a bulky iMac or an overpowered MacBook Pro for these purposes? Lightroom processing is the most intensive thing I do on my device and my iPad Pro handles it smoother than my partner’s MacBook Air, and with the magic keyboard it’s the perfect 3 lb laptop replacement and when I’m sitting in bed reading, a 1.4lb tablet. Versatility is pretty priceless.

Last edited:

Jamacfer

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2015
京都市

Back to the topic ... having owned both, the 12.9” got used around the house if I knew I was going to be sitting down in one place for a while, desk or laptop style. It was probably best at the dinner table or on the couch. At my computer desk or in bed, the 11” is slightly better for me because it doesn’t take up as much desk or nightstand space, and it’s easier to move around with one hand.

On the go, it’s a tough call and depends on how productive you feel like you need to be and how much you value tablet mode. The 11” is the best all-rounder ... it’s a Swiss army knife that can do everything and go almost anywhere. The 12.9” has a nice big screen, but you aren’t going to be curling up in bed with it or taking it to as many places. You need to be sitting up and paying attention to get the extra value out of it.

I am right now browsing/writing from my 12.9 in bed and it’s...just great! :)

Cosmo M3

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2010
I can’t see a situation where I would have both for my needs. If I have to do a “higher level” of productivity (large spreadsheets, photo editing, writing, etc) I would switch over to the 16” MacBook Pro. For everything in-between or less intensive things, the 11” iPad Pro with Magic Keyboard hits all the spots.

DrSarah

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 24, 2020
I can’t see a situation where I would have both for my needs. If I have to do a “higher level” of productivity (large spreadsheets, photo editing, writing, etc) I would switch over to the 16” MacBook Pro. For everything in-between or less intensive things, the 11” iPad Pro with Magic Keyboard hits all the spots.

I think you are totally right. I love my 11” iPad and does everything i need for browsing/writing and stuff. I think i am just feeling i want To burn money or something,, and the 12.9” looks so awesome! I’ll stick with my current products.

Macintosh101

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2017
I think you are totally right. I love my 11” iPad and does everything i need for browsing/writing and stuff. I think i am just feeling i want To burn money or something,, and the 12.9” looks so awesome! I’ll stick with my current products.

From my experience you wouldn’t regret having a 12.9 too, it feels like a very different experience than using the 11”,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.