Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
It seems to me like almost as if out of nowhere, its really "in" right now, to JB your phone. --More so than other seasons. Is it almost like we feel like its OK, like in a revengeful way, that Apple deserves it or something? Subconsciously maybe people lost a little respect for Apple and feel like, considering the sudden hot new upsides to JB-ing such as Face-time over 3G and Flash possibility alongside tethering, it's the cool thing to do?

It just seems to be really popular right now and I'm seeing a lot of ads and articles about it these days more than ever and its just becoming more common. I seem to encounter it more often in the wild.

Airmark1

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

It was (so I saw :) ) very easy to do. No laptop, cords, etc required.

RRmalvado

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2010
Apple deserves it? If people want to jailbreak they can, nothing to do with so-called "revenge"

I attribute it to how easy it is to do, not because people are out to get Apple.

DravenGSX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
I think it's because of how easy it is. Combine that with the DMCA exception and people who had hang-ups before don't anymore.

I don't see how it has anything to do with revenge. It's my device for crying out loud.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
Yeah thats another thing, its all of a sudden extra easy. People are craving different facelifts on their device I guess, after looking at the same OS for years they realize, and the packaging now makes it super inviting.

aedraste

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2009
Since when does Apple care what we do with our phones?

Wouldn't they prefer we void our warranties?

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010

Well its a profit loss for Apps when you buy pirated apps.

Its the equivalent of the MP3 and the music industry.

illutionz

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Rhode Island
Well its a profit loss for Apps when you buy pirated apps.

Its the equivalent of the MP3 and the music industry.

Jailbreaking is NOT pirating app. In fact, Cydia has App Store of its own that SELLS your LEGIT product for real MONEY.
Using your MP3 analogy, I would compare App Store vs Cydia as iTunes Music Store before DRM-free VS Amazon Music Store..... Both sells legit stuff.
However, if you install limewire/usenet/torrent to download said songs, then you're pirating and costing developers/artist their money.

Only people who installed "Installous" are costing Apple (and developers) money...

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
Jailbreaking is NOT pirating app. In fact, Cydia has App Store of its own that SELLS your LEGIT product for real MONEY.
Using your MP3 analogy, I would compare App Store vs Cydia as iTunes Music Store before DRM-free VS Amazon Music Store..... Both sells legit stuff.
However, if you install limewire/usenet/torrent to download said songs, then you're pirating and costing developers/artist their money.

Only people who installed "Installous" are costing Apple (and developers) money...

Well it empowers people to do so and thats bad enough. We know its human nature to push the boundaries of what is allowed. If theres a possibility to do it, it will be done. It will be pursued because the human mind likes efficiency. Just like with the MP3 and the convenience of software and software piracy. Once things become common its a snowball effect which leads to profit loss and even total destruction of an industry.

For example why pay $70 (or however much it is) for the Tom Tom App when you can get the hacked version for free. The same way you marveled at how easy it was to jail-b, you marvel at how easy it was for you to save $70 with one click of a button! And all of a sudden your morals get replaced with greed.

dagomike

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2007

Apple cares when developers complain about piracy and the media picks up users complaints of self-inflicted wounds.

aedraste

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2009
Apple cares when developers complain about piracy and the media picks up users complaints of self-inflicted wounds.

Fair enough, but I would still argue that anyone who jailbreaks their phone out of disrespect/vengeance toward Apple is delusional.

Jemi9OD

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2010
Durham, NC
Well it empowers people to do so and thats bad enough. We know its human nature to push the boundaries of what is allowed. If theres a possibility to do it, it will be done.

The flaw in that logic is that there's no clear-cut line. You could also argue that your computer (or maybe your computer with the addition of your connection to the internet) encourage you to pirate software. Just because you have a computer that connects to the internet, doesn't mean morals no longer apply.

Just because you have an iPhone you have jailbroken doesn't mean you have to seek out the apps that have activation/registration routines removed.

I jailbroke my iPhone to get a few free utilities (SBSettings) and some pay programs (biteSMS, LockInfo) that I will still pay for - I just won't pay for them through the App Store because Apple hasn't blessed their code for one reason or another.

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
The flaw in that logic is that there's no clear-cut line. You could also argue that your computer (or maybe your computer with the addition of your connection to the internet) encourage you to pirate software. Just because you have a computer that connects to the internet, doesn't mean morals no longer apply.

Just because you have an iPhone you have jailbroken doesn't mean you have to seek out the apps that have activation/registration routines removed.

I jailbroke my iPhone to get a few free utilities (SBSettings) and some pay programs (biteSMS, LockInfo) that I will still pay for - I just won't pay for them through the App Store because Apple hasn't blessed their code for one reason or another.

Well-said, and exactly how I feel. I jailbroke my device for only a few apps...some of which are free, but some that aren't and I'll gladly pay for them (biteSMS and LockInfo being the two main paid apps). I have no desire to short developers of money when they put out a nice product.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010

The flaw in your logic is that you think a lot of people have self imposed limits like you do when in fact you represent like 3% of the market. Younger people dont care. Its human nature not to care and to just take what you can and have "access" to. And if it gets popular enough it spreads. Its just logicstics and the mechanics of our society. Its a matter of how mainstream it gets which is a measurable cultural/market observation.

DynaFXD

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
East Coast

Well, they still have to support the phone at first. They will assume it was not JB'd at first and have to discover that fact in someway; customers seeking help for a JB'd phone usually do not offer that tidbit of information if they think it will cost themselves money (e.g. voided warranty). That costs Apple money in support time.

Then, there is the issue of when JB phones don't work quite right, get bricked on the next iOS release, or catch a serious security problem. Apple then has to deal with (time and $$) the PR backlash when these "victims" come out trolling on tech blogs that Apple products are flakey and don't work. The costs get even higher when the general media catch wind and put it on the front of their "Technology" page.

So, yeah. Apple would prefer that people not tinker with their phones because it will come back to them at some point.

Oddly, I would say the easier jail breaks are probably their biggest problem. Then you have every Tom, Dick, and Harry "pushing the gee-whiz, look at this" button. At least if it is a complex jail break only the people who put the effort in will get it applied. These people KNOW what they did and what it means and maybe even how to get back to ground zero if needed. If it is too easy, they have to deal with parents and grand parents's giving them the old "well my son said it was OK to do this, and it was so easy. Why won't you fix my phone for free?" stories.

If you know what you are doing and enjoy tinkering, I say knock yourself out.

shehan

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2010
The flaw in your logic is that you think a lot of people have self imposed limits like you do when in fact you represent like 3% of the market. Younger people dont care. Its human nature not to care and to just take what you can and have "access" to. And if it gets popular enough it spreads. Its just logicstics and the mechanics of our society. Its a matter of how mainstream it gets which is a measurable cultural/market observation.

Appropriate Apple Insider Link

"a developer of one of Android's top ten apps is seeing 97 percent of players in Asia using an illegal copy, 70 percent in Europe, and 43 percent in North America." :(

TruckdriverSean

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2009
Texas, US
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Ok, this will sound a little backwards, but stay with me for a moment:

I think this time around the jailbreak route actually seems less scary (for regular people like me) in large part because iOS natively offers "most" of what we used to jailbreak for. Multitasking (of a fashion), tethering, custom background images, homepage folders, etc.

So instead of wondering "Can my iPhone handle all that?", we know it can.(esp the iP4 and 3GS)

Oh, and Jailbreak does not equal Piracy.

Block

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007

Not quite. Access to certain applications on Cydia allow you to access features that would otherwise be offered as a pay service from AT&T/Apple or would deter you from using such services. You are robbing Apple/AT&T of their potential revenues by bypassing their standard methods of obtaining profits.

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
It seems to me like almost as if out of nowhere, its really "in" right now, to JB your phone. --More so than other seasons. Is it almost like we feel like its OK, like in a revengeful way, that Apple deserves it or something? Subconsciously maybe people lost a little respect for Apple and feel like, considering the sudden hot new upsides to JB-ing such as Face-time over 3G and Flash possibility alongside tethering, it's the cool thing to do?

It just seems to be really popular right now and I'm seeing a lot of ads and articles about it these days more than ever and its just becoming more common. I seem to encounter it more often in the wild.

Drugs make you say stupid ****.

I suggest you lay off the bong for a while at least.:cool:

joekun

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2005
Access to certain applications on Cydia allow you to access features that would otherwise be offered as a pay service from AT&T/Apple or would deter you from using such services.
You could say the same thing about texting/IM apps from the official app store.

MicroApple

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
I have no problem with jailbreaks to install apps that Apple censors (as long as they are legal). But Installous needs to be shutdown, seriously wtf is wrong with Installous.

Easy Jailbreak = means a ton of the whole iPhone userbase is doing it
Installous = lets you steal apps

Do you really think developers are gonna keep making apps if you download them illegally. Developers pay 99$ a year (not much) but if you start making no money because people download apps illegally how do you expect them to keep up with it? Moronic ****s

And for all you people that say a jailbreak isn't piracy. True it isn't. But I garuntee you over 50% atleast have used it to do some thing morally wrong or illegal such as stealing from AT&T with wireless tethering, or stealing from a developer.

IMO Cydia shouldn't allow the Installous repository, they should only have one repository regulated by them which is much like the Android store. ANYTHING IS ALLOWED except for copyright infringing stuff.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
Appropriate Apple Insider Link

"a developer of one of Android's top ten apps is seeing 97 percent of players in Asia using an illegal copy, 70 percent in Europe, and 43 percent in North America." :(

From that same article:

"Apple's iOS App Store simply ties purchased apps to the user's iTunes account, making piracy difficult enough for casual users to prefer to actually buy apps instead, without any phone home authorization steps. The fact that most iPhone apps are priced low means that developers can make money in volume sales, because most apps aren't being pirated. Piracy largely prevented mobile software from ever being viable prior to Apple's App Store."

Thats the magical element right there!

Its the convenience factor.

Making piracy difficult for CASUAL users.

Thats what I mean when I say that its becoming really popular. That its becoming attractive to even casual users!

And yes I agree another factor is the fact that now the iPhone 4 is faster than ever and people are realizing there are no fears of slowdown for multitasking or wallpapers anymore and that Jailbreaking is a mature "platform"

Block

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
You could say the same thing about texting/IM apps from the official app store.

Those are officially allowed though and thus Apple/AT&T has sanctioned its use and is okay with those applications competing against theirs. Using Cydia to bypass AT&T's tethering system for example is clearly unintended and directly gets in the way of Apple/AT&T's source of revenue without their explicit permission.

If a homeowner allows you to take items from his home, it's not stealing. But if you go in and take it without his explicit permission, it is burglary.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.