People still using Powermac G5s

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Hastings101, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Hastings101 macrumors 68010

Hastings101

So I'm wondering how your experience with your Powermac G5 in the past year has been? Can you still, for example, use most major websites fine without any problems?

Just wondering because someone offered me one for only $250 and I need to get a cheap computer into my workplace that will be used for nothing but Microsoft Office & internet browsing. With a price like that I would be very happy getting some use out of it for a year or two before needing to replace it.

2. Blakeco123 macrumors regular

Blakeco123

take it there still great machines and if i had the money i would buy one.
    EDIT: i use them at school all the time

3. Hallivand, Feb 26, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2011

Hallivand macrumors regular

Hallivand

Rocking a Dual 1.8Ghz here :cool:

They are very good machines, looking fantastic as well as having enough muscle for daily work i.e Youtube, Email, Internet, Word, iWorks, etc.

What are the specifications to the one your getting? $250 isn't that bad, though I wouldn't personally go over much more than that as it's investing in rather dated technology.

EDIT: Didn't see they already quoted you a price. In that case, as long as its a Dual Core/Processor model you should be right for a year or two. Especially for your needs, i.e email and Office. I'd be a bit hesitant with the Single 1.6/1.8 Models at that price, get them down to around <$150 and it would be a very capable machine.

4. Hastings101 thread starter macrumors 68010

Hastings101

I *think* it has 2.3 GHZ dual processors and 2GB of ram.

5. Hallivand macrumors regular

Hallivand

That's not a bad deal actually, plus that model was one of the most reliable G5's to be released so you should be good on that front.

That'd be plenty power for modern websites (Youtube, Video Streaming, etc though be wary for the HD content, can stutter somewhat) and Office 2008, so even if you upgrade in the future it can be regulated to server duties and such.
    :D

6. mmfphotodude macrumors member

My b*tch is a Quad 2.5ghz G5.

Only mac I have left other then dualie 533 g4.

Use it mostly for converting and burning movies and stuff, everything runs fine on it. Except current software, hence why my Hackintosh and Samsung R522E running 7 get most of the use.

Starting to feel like my iPhone 3Gs is more up to date then my QUAD G5. Kinda sad that a phone gets more support then a computer.

-.-

-MMF

7. phd macrumors member

phd

I have a 2.5Ghz Quad as well.. it does suck I'm not able to run the current software. It is a great machine.. Have too run Tiger on it as it kernel panics on Leopard... :eek:

8. MacForScience macrumors 6502

MacForScience

Sure it will work and as long as the computer is in good condition. If you can afford a couple hundred dollars I would go with a Mac Mini instead though.

What model G5?

Cheers

9. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I still have one working and I have no trouble with websites, just with new versions of software that are no longer compatible with Power Macs.

10. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I use my G5 (it's one of the first ones that came out) with Photoshop, Daz 3D, Bryce, and Blender for the most part. It actually works decently.

I'm also using it to play old gaming console roms. Although, I'm pretty worried that my cinema display will eventually die on me because of it.

But yeah, internet works fine on it. I'm running Leopard too and it has a 350GB RAID setup. Only 512MB RAM though - Works faster than the MBP I have nonetheless.

11. VanneDC macrumors 6502a

VanneDC

Jess, you gotta get more ram into that puppy! :eek:

12. stev3n macrumors 6502

Dual 1.8 here. No problems with websites. It's a great machine.

13. ozred macrumors 6502

I agree. I had one for years. I Upgraded to a Mac Pro & new MBP only because I need the resources.

14. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I know! I'm just waiting for it to magically appear because I'm too cheap to spend the money. It will eventually, when my dad finds some sitting around at work. I'm saving the money to overload the new MBP.

15. Ryy macrumors member

I have to say, that is not a bad deal at all.

I have late 2005 Dual 2.0 with 1gb currently. I am running leo on it now, and I can tell that I need another gb of ram in it for the os. But that aside, it honestly runs very strong and is still my baby!

For the items/usage that you mentioned, you will not have any issues at all. Hell, I think I still use my power mac more than my new mbp. :D

16. Hastings101 thread starter macrumors 68010

Hastings101

Thanks for the input guys, picked it up earlier today and I have to say it's much faster than I expected from this old of a machine, plus Office and all the websites we visit are working great.

17. R739 macrumors newbie

18. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

I've got a dual 2.0GHz June 2004 with 4GB of RAM as my primary computer setup. I love it. Its been working fine for me and its plenty fast with Leopard.

19. bizzle macrumors 6502a

I have a dual 1.8 with 2GB RAM that I use for my media player on my bedroom TV and a dual 2.0 with 6GB RAM connected to the original 22" Apple Cinema Display on my desk that gets occasional use. It's fine and fast enough for web/email and so on, I just don't go to my desk often.

20. MacHamster68, Mar 2, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

i'm getting mine done up , as i mentioned before in various post i had found this neglected PowerMac G5 2.3 dual core in a warehouse of a customer in a corner sitting there for 2 years waiting for me to find it, poor little thing , which didn't improve its overall appearance as you can imagine , even more dust inside then outside , so i took the whole poor thing apart (working fine , but cant leave it in that condition) , the case is now on the way to a mate in germany who can anodize the case in pure snow white ..if he finds the time that is ...last motorcycle part took 7 month to return but a more then perfect job for no money, so i dont argue over time , but once the PowerMac is finished, i will max out ram and fit the velociraptor 600gb 10000rpm drive from my iMac core duo as primary drive inside and use it as my main computer running OSX tiger, and it should be fine for that , i used last year one of my eMac 1.42 as primary computer and it was perfectly usable for everything , so the PowerMac should have no problems whatsoever

21. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

+1
    just sold my 2010 MBP so i can get a new quad core! :D

gee lol yes! - sitting here with 4GB and i'm running low..

22. datamonger128 macrumors regular

datamonger128

Well, I just recently got a G5, so I can't really speak on the past year. However, for the 2 1/2 months that I've had it, I haven't had any problems at all. It's a dual 1.8GHz June 2004 model with 2GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT 128MB, 160GB stock Apple drive and 500GB WD Caviar Green, and Leopard. It keeps up with my old PC which got sold about a month after getting my G5. The only thing I don't like about my system is the fact that I can't play WoW on it, but I don't play it too often to begin with and I have an early 2009 MacBook if I want to play any games.

23. VanneDC macrumors 6502a

VanneDC

2.3 dual here and 2.7 lc rocking up tomorrow. Don't know which one to keep???

24. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

I had a dual 1.8 l;ess than a year ago and it ran youtube and stuff fine. I miss it. But I just don't have room for that tank. :p

25. MotzKopf macrumors newbie

I have a Dual-2.0GHz, PCI-X PowerMac with 5.5GB of RAM, 320GB Barracuda, 74GB Raptor, and a flashed 256MB BFG 7800GS OC (VERY LOUD FAN). It handles just about everything on the web, but Flash sites can bog it down, and streaming HD video from most sites is not possible.

Still a great production machine for print and web, video (not so much).

Last night I was having problems with my wireless connection, so I watched my System Log in Console and found a couple of problems. One was a Flash issue that I had to fix via Terminal, and the other was a DNS issue with my wireless printer.

I fixed those problems and my connection is rock solid and things are peppy again. I also downloaded the latest G5 optimized build of Firefox (Minefield), FXG5-4.0b13pre-2011.02.27. So now I have a current modern browser optimized for the G5 processor.

I can stretch the life of this machine even further maxing out the RAM, and getting a G5 Jive with an SATA II card. SSDs would also give it a bump in performance.

When this machine isn't viable anymore, hopefully I'll be able to pick up an 8-Core Xeon for $600.