People That bought from apple.com

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dr01dy, May 12, 2007.

1. dr01dy macrumors member

Hello,

Quick question for people that have purchased a mac though the apple.com store.

Does apple charge your banking account once you place the order or when they ship the order or when the order is delivered?

Regards,

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think they charge at time of purchase. That's permissable, generally, at least in the United States, as long as shipping does not substantially lag purchasing. This is what I remember from when I purchased my iBook there.

3. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

They cannot charge your card until the item is in shipping status, ie.... ready to go out the door.

HOWEVER...... they can place a "hold" on your card for the amount of the sale, to:

a) verify that the card is valid and,

b) the funds will be available when your order does ship :)

4. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

No, Apple charges the full amount once the item is shipped. They place a $1 hold when you place an order, though.

5. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

I've never had them charge anything until it shipped. They may check to see if the card will clear, but my guess would be they charge just before it is in the shipping channel. But no, they won't charge your card and wait 2 weeks to ship.

6. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Yeah, I'd imagine they authorise the amount when you buy, then complete the transaction when the purchase ships. For delayed shipping I'd imagine there's a chance the available balance on your account will return to the pre-purchase amount and be followed by a re-authorisation and completion.

Basically, it'd be sensible to have cleared funds available from the time you place the order to the time the order is received by you.

7. dr01dy thread starter macrumors member

they charged me for the computer then removed the charge.. as of last night the computer was shipped but they never charged me again for it. I did see a $45 charge for the shipping on my account.

Do you think this is odd or normal procedure ?

8. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

What did you order, and where are you? I get free shipping on stuff from the apple store. I can see the odd charge if it was a refurb with fast moving stock that ran out, or some other snafu. How long was the lag between the first charge, the refund, and the actual shipping?

9. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Agree with most of the others. They charge my card when the order ships. Actually, I am now on Net 30 with Apple, Dell, HP, CDW, B&H Camera and several more. So, I now pay by invoice and that arrives after the product does. For example, I am sitting on a pre-order for CS3 Master. CDW shows it 'back ordered'. When it is released, they will ship it and cut an invoice. I am going to do that with FCS and Apple. I get a 10%-15% discount from Apple for having a business account with them.

10. dr01dy thread starter macrumors member

I bought a Macpro on May 2nd which the charge hung out for a few days then dropped off my bank account then last night May 11th at 2:30am I got an e-mail that it shipped via Fedex with a 2-3 night shipment that I wanted. This morning I had a $44 check card hold for applestore for the shipping.

I am guess they will charge me on Monday.

11. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

yes i think the charge will just come through on monday, pretty weird it was taken back tho

12. dr01dy thread starter macrumors member

I think its odd I got a charge for the shipping lastnight and not the whole computer and the shipping.

anyway I will report back to you guys and let you know what happens

13. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

Wait, its the new apple promo, pay the shipping, get the puter for free...

14. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

hahahah how awesome would that be?

15. dr01dy thread starter macrumors member

I will let you know if they gave me that promo.

16. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

It's normal. When you check out, they place a temporary hold on your card for that amount to make sure the funds are available. If they don't convert that hold into a permanent charge in so many days, the bank will release that hold and give the funds back to you. So Apple will just charge his card again, this time, converting it to a purchase and the money's gone for good

17. dr01dy thread starter macrumors member

hey all just wanted to let you know this morning the charge was on my account :p