iPad People who have Air and rMini

Discussion in 'iPad' started by freeman727, Jan 20, 2014.

1. freeman727 macrumors 6502

I'm about to pull the gun and get the rMini. I already have a 128GB Air w/ T-mobile. My thought is one, I have an old iPad 3 with cellular that I just sold and two, my wife needs a tablet too. It will be good to have on Air and one rMini. I'm thinking about getting just the wifi version of the rMini as I can always tether off my iPhone. Anyone else in the same boat?

What's the best way to carry the mini around? I have a Swiss Army fanny back that can fit the Mini perfectly.

2. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

That's probably not a bad idea Swiss Army knife backpack.

I tether from my phone sometimes but mostly am within wifi range.

I've had 32gb Only for 1st gen pad cause it was a clearance sale. Otherwise always gotten base 16 wifi for 2nd and 3rd gen and even when I tried 4th gen and mini 1 briefly.

Not regretting going base with rMini either.

3. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

I actually think the convenience of the LTE is overpriced and overrated. If you can tether, it's just a couple of button presses and swipes to turn on personal hotspot. I think you'll be fine with a wifi mini.

4. citivolus macrumors 6502a

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I couldn't disagree more. It all comes down to how often you need to use connectivity outside of the home and how much annoyances you're willing to tolerate. Previously I had an iPad 3 cellular, then when I switched to a family plan with AT&T that included free tethering, I upgraded to a wifi only iPad air. Within a week I was frustrated with the personal hotspot feature being finicky, etc, such that I switched back to a cell model air.

5. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I disagree. In order to get tethering through AT&T I would have to give up my grandfathered unlimited data. Not worth it. My first iPad was wifi only, it really limited my usage of it.

I'd much rather (and do)have an LTE iPad. The free T-Mobile data is nice too.

6. yoshimeow macrumors member

I have both the air and mini. Well I bought the air for my gf but we both use it around the house. I have the mini with lte for myself. In my opinion it makes much more sense to have the lte on the mini than the air since you are more likely to carry it around. The air basically stays home and the the mini with lte goes around everywhere with me. Free 200mb with t mobile is super nice :). Also the mini is a great navigation device and is the perfect size. You lose out on gps if you don't have lte.
    If you can still return the air return it for the regular one and get a lte mini r

7. freeman727 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm leaning toward getting the rMini with LTE now based on some of the posts here. It makes sense!

8. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Enjoy your new rMini! :)

9. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    I have both the iPad Air and the iPad rMini with LTE; that way, either device is ready to go out-and-about with me and I don't have to worry about tethering and all that sort of thing. Most of the time the iPad Mini is the one that leaves the house with me but sometimes I take the iPad Air instead if for instance the Mini needs charging. Very convenient!

10. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

11. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

It should be close to the same speed you would get on your phone. Tethering is basically making your phone into a hotspot.

12. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I asked because AT&T employee have a Samsung S4 and it tethered to my iPad 2, it was super SLOW!! :apple:

13. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I have only ever used it on my old iPhone 4 using MyWi. It was pretty fast at the time.