Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

esaelias187

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2017
So has anyone thought of swapping for a lcd screen?

like this

It’s basically a lcd replacement

I know u lose oled

but u don’t get pwm and get a faster processor etc?

jakeuten

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2016
Minnesota
You would not get a faster processor. Why would you? Speaking from experience in phone repair, installing LCD panels on OLED phones (We call the LCD replacements in-cell) you get way worse contrast, way worse brightness, and power consumption from the display to the point where the device feels warm any time the screen is in use.

esaelias187

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2017
You would not get a faster processor. Why would you? Speaking from experience in phone repair, installing LCD panels on OLED phones (We call the LCD replacements in-cell) you get way worse contrast, way worse brightness, and power consumption from the display to the point where the device feels warm any time the screen is in use.
I meant as an lcd compared to iphone 11 you would get a faster processor with lcd panel

jakeuten

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2016
Minnesota
I meant as an lcd compared to iphone 11 you would get a faster processor with lcd panel
They still have to keep the same resolution to keep rendering the same. The OS wouldn't detect a different resolution display. There would be no performance gain.

now i see it

macrumors 604
Jan 2, 2002
If an iPhone OLED screen bugs your nervous system that much / I’d just get a refurbished iPhone 8+ and wait it out several more years. These dark days (years) of flickering screens will not last forever

dmx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
They still have to keep the same resolution to keep rendering the same. The OS wouldn't detect a different resolution display. There would be no performance gain.
OP is referring to people who have previously stuck with a old LCD iPhone. They get the faster processor by upgrading to the latest iPhone, and they get no PWM by swapping the display to LCD after the fact.

Reactions: esaelias187

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
If you really wanted to do this I’d try to buy an iPhone 12 with a broken screen. You could probably get a really good deal since you were gonna throw out the screen anyway.

esaelias187

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2017
hi apart from quality do all lcd start getting warm? why does this happen?

jakeuten

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2016
Minnesota
hi apart from quality do all lcd start getting warm? why does this happen?
Yes, because OLED doesn't require the same amount of power (far more efficient) to power the backlight required on an LCD, so the display driver doesn't give the optimal amount of power... the panel just requests as much as it will give.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.