Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deraj090

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2010
Hey ya'll,

For those of you who ordered from Apple.com and then canceled -- how long did it take for them to reset your eligibility?

I ordered for shipment yesterday, and then in-store pickup was available later in the day, so I canceled the original order and selected the latter. At first, it said that the line I was trying to upgrade wasn't eligible, but after a few minutes, it allowed the $199 pricing.

When I got to the Apple store, they said that they couldn't activate the phone because the prompt from AT&T was saying that the line was not eligible. AT&T's site clearly indicated that it was...

Where's the hiccup here?

Statusnone88

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2010
Hey ya'll,

For those of you who ordered from Apple.com and then canceled -- how long did it take for them to reset your eligibility?

I ordered for shipment yesterday, and then in-store pickup was available later in the day, so I canceled the original order and selected the latter. At first, it said that the line I was trying to upgrade wasn't eligible, but after a few minutes, it allowed the $199 pricing.

When I got to the Apple store, they said that they couldn't activate the phone because the prompt from AT&T was saying that the line was not eligible. AT&T's site clearly indicated that it was...

Where's the hiccup here?

I cancelled mine the night before I went to Apple. It can take up to 24 hours, but I'm pretty sure a few people have called AT&T to have them reverse their upgrade quicker. Doesn't hurt to call and see.

deraj090

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2010
I cancelled mine the night before I went to Apple. It can take up to 24 hours, but I'm pretty sure a few people have called AT&T to have them reverse their upgrade quicker. Doesn't hurt to call and see.

Thanks. What's strange is that on AT&T's side, they're seeing the account as completely eligible -- so I'm not sure why Apple was having trouble.

Statusnone88

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2010
Thanks. What's strange is that on AT&T's side, they're seeing the account as completely eligible -- so I'm not sure why Apple was having trouble.

I was told that 24 hour thing is a B. Mine obviously didn't take that long, but it might take a bit longer for whatever reason to refresh in their system. I hope you get your phone soon, dude.

deraj090

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2010
I hope you get your phone soon, dude.

Thanks. Truth is, I already have mine (32GB SG). And my dad has his (16GB SG)... This one is for my mom. They were the ones at the stores last night -- unfortunately they're in the suburbs and I live in NYC, so it was up to them to deal with the sales reps there. Something tells me I could have talked my way into a loophole. I spoke on the phone w/ the "genius" that was helping them - she didn't seem too bright. She sent them to the AT&T store to talk with the sales reps there...clearly nothing they can do. Had they approached someone else, things probably would have gone differently.

ethereal45

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2007
Less than 60 seconds honestly. I hung up the phone and placed an order for a gold after canceling a silver and it worked just fine. This was after business hours at about 8pm EST for what it's worth.

briankeith513

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Hey ya'll,

Where's the hiccup here?

Interestingly, I originally ordered through Verizon online, then cancelled a few hours later. The I ordered through Apple.com, and cancelled while in line to purchase a 5s in a Verizon store, and had absolutely no issues. This was all in just one day.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Hey ya'll,

Where's the hiccup here?

Strange. I did this on launch day (had one ordered but cancelled when I got it at the store). The eligibility was instant since I picked the phone up two minutes after canceling the Apple.com order.

deraj090

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2010
Mine was instant. AT&T shouldn't pull your eligibility until your device is "preparing for shipment".

It wasn't AT&T pulling the eligibility -- it was Apple. Happened with my original order (of my phone) too, which is why both my dad and I ended up with new devices. He took my original shipment from Apple, since they didn't cancel it properly, and I took his upgrade in a Best Buy, because Apple 'took' the eligibility on my line.

Apparently it still isn't all set on Apple's end. Better be fixed by tonight when they can go pick it up... so annoying.

deraj090

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2010
Yea I have no idea whats going on. I spoke with 1800MYAPPLE today -- they said they're showing "all green lights" on their end. The apple rep called the store, who says they're too showing "all green lights", so I sent my mom back for a 2nd trip. This better go seamlessly.

deraj090

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2010
So here's what happened....

They were still getting that message indicating she wasn't eligible. They tried a different 16GB SG, with the same phone number -- and it worked flawlessly.

I don't NEED an explanation, since we all got what we want... but I'd sure like one :)

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
i ordered last night around 11:30pm for next day instore pickup. when i woke up today, the order was still processing and i was not charged yet. i spoke with apple who then called the store. they told me to go to the store to try to work it out. ultimately, they were unable to get the order to process through, so they said to cancel it online and then allow anywhere from 30 minutes to 4 hours for the eligibility to reset. however, they came out no more than 15 minutes with the new phone and attempted to redo the order and it had already reset. this was with verizon btw.

ranger391

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2009
Northern Wisconsin
I just did this yesterday. It took somewhere less than 20 minutes. I canceled using my old phone while talking to the apple guy. When he checked, it said not eligible. I left for 20 minutes to the food court and he agreed to set the phone aside for up to 1 hour.

When I returned after the 20 minutes, it went through just fine. Not sure how much sooner it was actually ready.

Scott......

Shockwave78

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2010
This shouldnt matter for new service correct? I am going to try to score a 64gb gold tonight..but will need to cancel my apple order for new service wtih AT&T

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.