People who stretch 4:3 to fill 16:9!!!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by strangeday, Jan 28, 2010.

1. strangeday macrumors member

:mad:

Ugh!!!!!!

This drives me crazy! I have to bite my tongue to be polite when watching TV at other peoples' homes...People just don't GET IT! You're not seeing MORE, you're just stretching and distoring everything!! :mad:

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Don't watch TV at other people's houses. Problem solved. :D

4. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

At least you can SEEM to be gracious to your hosts. Be glad you have people in your life who invite you over. I'm sure if they knew how you feel about such a petty issue you wouldn't have to worry about being invited over.

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Do you mean, they really stretch the image, resulting in a wider (and distorted) image, instead of cutting of the top and bottom?

I've never encountered that, but I only know one person with a TV, it was three some years ago while I studied.

What I found irritating is people (or VHSs or DVDs) who cut of the sides of a widescreen release by either watching it full screen on a 4:3 TV or or not having a widescreen version on DVD, even if it exists.

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

My TV stretches some things. I don't mind it, but I don't stretch things on my computer unless I'm sat away from it. I don't like squinting.

7. smwatson macrumors 6502a

smwatson

Not as bad as people who do this but then claim there's no difference.

8. carlgo macrumors 68000

The whole digital divide thing is interesting. A really nice house with designer furniture and expensive cars in the driveway and they are watching scratchy tv on a 20 year old tv that looks like it was rescued from the mercantile store at the dump.

What do you say to people who proudly point out their new HD tv and how nice HD is when they are clearly watching SD and don't have the required receiver or dish to watch HD?

Lastly, there are the anti-tv people who tell everyone that they don't watch tv except for specific intellectual content. Yet, you go over there and the wretched old tv is on all the time and they are huddled around watching American Idol and reality shows....

9. msheldrick macrumors regular

Some of the Foxtel installers (Australian Pay-TV Company) leave the boxes on 4:3 even if you have a widescreen tv, it's seriously a 10 second change that most Foxtel users probably don't know how to do, as long as some type of picture is showing as they rush out the door, they couldn't care less.

10. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

11. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

Well, some people own 4:3 TVs and zoom in on 16:9 content to avoid the black bars. How's that? :(

12. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

My father at his house does this.

My sister at her house does this.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

MUST RESIST!!!!

13. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

I actually prefer to stretch it. It looks better to me.

14. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

I think this started with people who were afraid of black bar "burn-in" on their older plasma screens, and they continue to stretch every image to fill the screen out of habit, even though LCD and most newer plasmas don't exhibit the burn-in problem.

My wife and daughter do this on our LCD flat-screen. As I don't watch much TV, it doesn't bother me that much. I tend to watch my movies via Front Row or on my nano, so they're in proper aspect ratio anyway.

What does freak me out sometimes are those widescreen TVs that will "progressively" stretch just the sides of a 4:3 signal so that the center portion remains proportionally correct, but the sides get comically stretched like a funhouse mirror.

15. Kimbie macrumors regular

Kimbie

The other option is to get all your programmes in widescreen, just like we have in the UK :)

Kimbie

16. gibbz macrumors 68030

17. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

While the majority of British TV is widescreen and has been for quite a while, we still don't have ALL of our programmes in widescreen. A lot of old repeated TV shows and most American series are still broadcast in 4:3.

18. Elixer macrumors regular

Yeah, I agree. I can deal with it but when they try to say it looks the same thats where I draw the line.

19. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I stretch 4:3 content. It doesn't bother me too much, although I don't watch too much SD content anymore. Since Craig Ferguson, The Daily Show, Colbert Report, Simpsons and South Park went HD, and U-Verse added MSNBC HD, I hardly watch any SD.

20. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

I think there are more important things to get annoyed about.

21. Gonzo3333 macrumors 6502a

Gonzo3333

That was perfect, I feel the same exact way. I should email that to some of my friends. My wife is notorious for watching low def programs (4x3) on 16x9. Whenever she does this and I see her doing it I have to grab the remote from her and change it so I can go about my day. I guess it is an OCD thing.

I have also noticed that some of the older HD content Comcast broadcasts in the incorrect aspect ratio. This also drives me bonkers, paying a premium for television and having to adjust things myself. Shouldn't the cable provider fix it or at least know how to broadcast it?

Maybe some t.v. manufacturer will come up with a way for the t.v. to automatically change it for you without any tinkering. Maybe that is asking for too much.

22. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

On a good day I can stretch my foreskin over my kneecap, does that count

23. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

WTH???????!!!! :eek:

Can the black bars from watching unzoomed 4:3 on a widescreen TV cause some kind of screen burn?

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I've been rewatching Garth Marenghi's Darkplace (2004 or so?) and that was in 4:3 for effect purposes. But yea, I like that pretty much everything is in widescreen now. It pains me when my sisters watching US shows (mostly on Disney) and it's all stretched and blurry in that upscaled 480i they're big on over the pond.