People with 10.7.2 and 2010 13" MBP

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by thadoggfather, Oct 5, 2011.

1. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

Does it fix the battery life shortness and the choppy (non-smooth) graphics performance that can be seen when magnifying the dock and minimizing windows?

These were the main reasons I went back to Snow Leopard... for now.

2. natd1993 macrumors regular

natd1993

Unfortunately, it hasn't fixed the battery life issue. I'm getting about 5 hours, as opposed to seven on snow leopard, but If you think about it, all the new features (gestures, full screen apps, mission control, autosave) are taking the batteries of our older MBP's. Minimizing windows and choppy animations are now a thing of the past though.

3. njaremka macrumors 6502

depends on what tasks you are performing. i can get almost 10 hours out of my battery if all i'm doing is running itunes with a blank screen. if i have the screen at half brightness and using word or pages, i can get 7-8 hours. if i'm playing bejeweled on the web with flash player, it drops to 2 hours.

as for the performance, lion is a ram hog. i suspect if you upgrade your ram to 8gb, your system performance will get better.

4. Hyper-X macrumors 6502a

Stay with SL. IMHO you won't see any meaningful Lion fixes anytime soon. Apple's not setup like Microsoft to offer solid support for their operating system and as we all know, Apple's not very good with keeping people informed as to what issues they're aware of and what fixes to look forward to.

Right now it's all about Apple's mobile devices, the iP4S, iP5, iCloud, iPad3 and the loss of SJ. My projection of any decent updates to Lion won't happen until the end of 1Q 2012.

5. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Fixed the battery issue, at least somewhat, for me. 3 hours before the update, 5-6 after.

6. ssn637 macrumors 6502

Battery life has improved with 10.7.2 but on my 13" MacBook Pro Snow Leopard is still king. I doubt if Lion will ever match the 9+ hours I'm getting with 10.6.8, but for those wishing to make the switch now is a good time. You'll probably lose around an hour unplugged, but for many this disadvantage outweighs the new features in Lion.

7. naix macrumors member

when I browse the web and scroll up or down the page on the browser distorts. Anyone else having this issue. I had it on 10.7.1 and on 10.7.2 gm.

Here is a screen shot:

Attached Files:

8. ohla313 macrumors 6502a

ohla313

oh so that's what it's called!! I had this problem for a while and thought it was my monitor but it only happens in Safari so it must be Lion. Mine is a yellow distortion though. I'm on 10.7.1

9. superspartan macrumors member

My iMac with Radeon HD 2400 graphics was still mega choppy on 10.7.2. I just reverted back to SL (again) last night and I'm back to silky smooth graphics and overall more snappy performance.

I may be tempted back to Lion if iCloud looks really compelling, but it just feels so sluggish on my machine.

10. bruleke macrumors 6502

bruleke

Guys, I am using SL and I am planning to buy Lion but there so MANY issues that I see in this forum that my conclusion is: it would be insane not to stay in SL, which is a wonderful OS.

So, whats the point in updating to Lion at this point?

11. naix macrumors member

stick with snow leopard unless you really need to use lion. I like lion for the full screen apps and mission control. I think its easier to move screens compared to snow leopard.

12. Skoal macrumors 65816

10.7.2? Has that been released or just out in beta for devs? It's not popping up when looking for software updates for me. The only trouble I'm having with Lion now (for the most part) is random beachballing which is annoying as Hell.

13. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

No not officially released yet but a whole bunch of people ( myself included ) have already updated to the GM release. It is not hard to find a link to the ( about to be released ) version if you try to find it.

14. trfjason macrumors member

I get the same problem too, it seems like they haven't fixed this problem yet. I am running 10.7.2 GM.

15. Hyper-X macrumors 6502a

This is the bottom line about the whole Lion/SL debate.

If Lion works for you without issue, don't worry about it and simply continue on with what you were doing.

If SL worked better for you and switching to Lion is giving you a brain tumor, if you have the option to go back, then do it. Why sit there and remain frustrated when you know of a solution to make it better, at least for the moment?

If you're the undecided type where you're gambling on Apple shining rays of sunshine down from heaven in hopes to fix your Lion problems, you are wasting your time. You'd be better off buying an iPhone 4S or an iPad and using that since it'll likely get more attention than OS X for the moment.

Once the whole iCloud, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5 smoke clears up and people aren't all riled up like a dog in heat, then maybe Apple will start to put attention back to OS X and finally make Lion what it was supposed to be, but that could be months, even a year or so ahead.

16. ztrafe macrumors member

The scrolling is still very choppy compared to SL. Everything else working fine in Lion.