Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jason748

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2018
I watched a video of someone trying to open 70+ safari tabs on his M1 Max with 32gb ram and his laptop started stuttering and slowing down. Proof with timestamp

I'm just wondering if anyone else can help test to confirm this and tell me how many chrome/safari tabs they can open before their Macbook starts to stutter and slow down? Please try it with full working websites (maybe instagram or twitter), **not empty tabs.** the websites with images will properly stress out the ram more. Empty tabs barely use any ram.

I was going to purchase the base model M1 Pro 16gb but after seeing the performance of the M1 Max 32gb, I feel like 16gb of ram will be nowhere enough for my use.

I own a 2016 Macbook Pro with 16gb of ram and I start to notice stuttering and lag with only 20 tabs open. I thought Apple Silicon chips would be more optimised with unified ram memory and I could open at least 50 tabs with 16GB but I guess I was wrong.

Before anyone asks "why would you have 50 tabs open?", I know plenty of people who have hundreds of tabs and applications open, I feel like 50 tabs is a very basic task to do for a $3000 laptop, I regularly have multiple chrome windows with 10-20 tabs open at a time and other applications which I switch back and forth during research/work and would prefer not to close the tabs so I can get back to it later.

Reactions: xmach

EnderTW

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
I watched a video of someone trying to open 70+ safari tabs on his M1 Max with 32gb ram and his laptop started stuttering and slowing down. Proof with timestamp

I'm just wondering if anyone else can help test to confirm this and tell me how many chrome/safari tabs they can open before their Macbook starts to stutter and slow down? Please try it with full working websites (maybe instagram or twitter), **not empty tabs.** the websites with images will properly stress out the ram more. Empty tabs barely use any ram.

I was going to purchase the base model M1 Pro 16gb but after seeing the performance of the M1 Max 32gb, I feel like 16gb of ram will be nowhere enough for my use.

I own a 2016 Macbook Pro with 16gb of ram and I start to notice stuttering and lag with only 20 tabs open. I thought Apple Silicon chips would be more optimised with unified ram memory and I could open at least 50 tabs with 16GB but I guess I was wrong.

Before anyone asks "why would you have 50 tabs open?", I know plenty of people who have hundreds of tabs and applications open, I feel like 50 tabs is a very basic task to do for a $3000 laptop, I regularly have multiple chrome windows with 10-20 tabs open at a time and other applications which I switch back and forth during research/work and would prefer not to close the tabs so I can get back to it later.
What computer does 100 tabs?

jason748

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2018
What computer does 100 tabs?
My PC with only 32gb of RAM can easily open more than 100 tabs without any stuttering or lag. On rare occasions sometimes a few chrome websites won't load but I don't notice any freezing/lag with my cursor or when I move active windows around. I've never tested the full limits of my PC since I usually hover around 50 tabs anyway. Owning my 2016 Macbook Pro with 16gb of RAM was the first time I found out the limits and that the whole OS actually freezes and lags when the RAM is full, didn't even know that was a thing before then.

Last edited:

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
How productive are you though with so many tabs open? My max is usually 20 to 30 tabs and usually they are just pages I left open sometimes for no reason to return.

Shadow Puppets

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2016
I don’t think I’ve ever had more than 10 tabs open on any browser, ever, and that’s rare. Just don’t understand why it would ever be necessary.

Edit: and that video you posted is by, hands down, the worst tech Youtuber out there. Constantly complaining over trivial ****.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I don’t think I’ve ever had more than 10 tabs open on any browser, ever, and that’s rare. Just don’t understand why it would ever be necessary.

Edit: and that video you posted is by, hands down, the worst tech Youtuber out there. Constantly complaining over trivial ****.
It seems its some rich guy with cash to burn and trying to have a breakout for a while now, but its just not happening. I use to watch his videos but stopped after maybe the 2018 MBPs, because they really offer anything of value. YouTube's algorithms are notorious for weeding videos like his unless you went digging for this kinda content.

lowimpact

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2012
Currently considering switching from windows to 14/16 MacBook. Is having lots of chrome tabs open really a use case that MacOS / M1 have trouble with?

Current pc laptop with slow intel 8th gen & 32gb has no issues with hundreds of chrome tabs.

Reactions: xmach

hatshepsut01

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2016

I leave dozens of tabs open all the time--I use a number of online databases/research sites for work, then news articles , research for a trip or restaurant recommendations...it adds up quickly. Your experience and needs are not universal.

ASX

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2021
Interesting. For 16 gb ram it's less than the half in my experience. But people are still trying to whitewash the 16 gb model. The swap is so fast, more ram isn't needed :D.

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
Talk to this poster for another viewpoint:

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.