People with unlimited data plans - do you use 3G a lot?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zukernik, Mar 22, 2011.

1. zukernik macrumors regular

I go online quite often with my phone since I spend a lot of time in China and wifi is rather scarce over here. I used to regret getting a wifi only iPad but now that the new iOS officially supports free tethering I won't have to upgrade it. I obviously download a lot more than most people with regular data plans but I was wondering if those of you with unlimited data plans also try to make full use of it.

Attached Files:

2. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

3G normally kills your battery alot more so when i'm at home i switch it off and use wifi and keep 3G off when at work as it doesn't work there anyway.

3. Mr dj mo macrumors member

I do use it a lot, watching youtube safari app so I can get HQ video, always on facebook, twitter and email.

It also comes in handy when I find out about new apps , obviously the 20mb limit is a pain but it's nice to download a couple of apps knowing that you won't get charged for it.

I usually run through about 2-3GB a month depending how often I'm at home.

4. Orion126 macrumors regular

I use less than 250MB a month of data but that's because I'm mostly on work WiFi or home WiFi. I still wouldn't give up unlimited though because who knows if I will have WiFi available at my future job.

5. mltaylor macrumors regular

I use it all the time. I rarely have my Wifi on because where I work we have a weak wifi signal that doesnt allow certain connections. Everywhere else I would just use 3g anyways

6. kriss13 macrumors newbie

a lot... and i rarely watch my counter :)
    long live unlimited data plan :)
    battery never died, i have an usb cable everywhere (home, work, car etc)
    i use wifi only if i want to access my local lan to transfer stuff.
    wifi kills battery sooner than 3g.

7. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Any time I'm not on my home wifi, so yes, a good deal

8. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I had the unlimited data plan for year on my iPad and never used it so dumped it and glad I did. I do want to keep my unlimited data plan on my iPhone for $30 but do not know why?:confused:

9. shelbymayer macrumors regular

I very rarely use Wifi at home and I don't have it at work. My 3G speeds are FASTER then my DSL speeds...sad but true haha! :p

the only time I use wifi is to dl an app larger than 20mb if I don't feel like DL on the computer than syncing it.

10. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I use 3g almost all the time. I have no Wifi at work or anywhere that I go to and from during the day for work.

I use between 5gb-9gb per month

11. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

My usage page doesn't have a "Tethered" data section. :confused:

12. mltaylor macrumors regular

How do you guys use so much data? Not getting on you or anything just curious. I have used around 5 gigs since January. I have streamed Netflix, MLB preseason games, Pandora, and Razorvision broadcasts all while having the usual Facebook visit and stuff of that nature.

13. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I use about 4-5GB a month just on Netflix. Ghats about 8-10 movies. I have large breaks during classes and it kills some time.

14. Weiser878 macrumors regular

When you say "the usual facebook visit and stiff..."
    I don't know what the usual actually is.

I'm constantly on my phone. In this app or the other, on twitter, safari, Wikiamo whatever. All the while I'll usually have Slacker radio going in the background.

I watch a lot of Netflix too. 2 or 3 episodes a night.

I generally use 7-8GB/month

I am jailbroken and I have MyWi and Google Voice extensions (so all my calls and texts can go through data) neither of which I use any more (GV was unreliable and MyWi is a non issue because I have WiFi at my house now for my laptop, although, I prefer my phone on 3G more than WiFi.
    When I was tethering, my usage was about the same, 7-8GB/month.

I'd guess the reason I use as much data now as I did when tethering is because I now have a Netflix account and I didn't before.

15. tritonj macrumors 6502a

i'll use more data during the baseball and football seasons, other than that it is relatively low

16. daxefx macrumors newbie

So does wifi use less battery than 3G? Should I be leaving Wifi on when I'm at home?

17. snakelda macrumors 6502

I have unlimited and use around 2GB a month. Mostly watching Youtube videos.

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I have unlimited but dont use it that much since I have wifi at home and during work.
    I average around 200-500mb per month but I keep the unlimited anyway.

19. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

In the nearly 3 years I have had my iphone, I have only had

Sent: 347MB
    Received: 3.6GB

And I am on the unlimited plan

20. jman240 macrumors 6502a

It's supposed to. Anandtech said they could get just about 10 hours of use on an iPhone 4 using wifi.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4191/motorola-xoom-review-first-honeycomb-tablet-arrives/14

The second chart is wifi usage vs the 3g one. 9.86 hours vs 6.65.

and in answer to OP, Usage is generally 3-5gb per month according to AT&T website.

21. Flake macrumors regular

Flake

22. X2468 macrumors regular

I wonder why I'm not experiencing this.

23. iboost79 macrumors member

I average 6-8GB a month in data usage. I never use Wi-Fi because TWC sucks in NYC and have been streaming videos to my iPhone over 3G.

Thanks to:

MyWi
    My3G
    Air Video
    TuneIn Radio
    VEVO