People wonder why Snow Leopard started off buggy

Discussion in 'macOS' started by LiquidHarmony, Feb 14, 2010.

1. LiquidHarmony macrumors newbie

...and still is to some degree, even though it doesn't seem much different from Leopard. So what went wrong? Windows 7 RC had much fewer problems when compared to Vista.

Think about it. Apple spent as much time on Snow Leopard as it did on its other OSes, except all the changes are "under the hood" this time. Apple basically rewrote the OS in preparation for the future. "Under the Hood" is where all bugs come from. It doesn't matter if there aren't many additional visible features; what matters is the code itself, which is used to run the OS and all its features.

Windows 7 on the other hand, is more or less a patched up Vista. They focused on fixing all what gave Vista a bad reputation, and got rid of a lot of unnecessary junk, but did not try to fix what was not broken. That's why even at its beta stages, it was much more stable than Vista.

That's my explanation. Snow Leopard and Windows 7 had different purposes. One was preparing for the future, while the other was making up for an embarrassment.

2. Mac-Michael macrumors regular

With all due respect, and no I'm not speaking for everybody - please let it go. It's been several months and they're quite stable nowadays. Most people are using both anyway :rolleyes:
    Otherwise your logic is sound.

3. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

1+
    OP your personal "revelation" has been said on this forum many times.

4. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

Not unique to Snow Leopard. Leopard was a bundle of bugs until 10.5.1; Tiger's main issues weren't solved until 10.4.3.

5. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

I think seeing as there are still threads about hangs, crashes with Snow Leopard, some needing to reinstall or reinstall from scratch after upgrading.; and the fact that there is 10.6.3 coming, there are things to fix. OP makes a valid point, even if it's been said been said before.