People's opinions on iCloud Drive?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by daijholt, Sep 14, 2014.

1. daijholt macrumors 65816

daijholt

I know it's early days for iCloud Drive, but I wanted to get people's point of view on what's good/bad about it as it is right now.

For me, the prices are epic, and if you've got a Mac with Yosemite, the whole concept it brilliant because it shows up in finder just like dropbox does.

HOWEVER.

The lack of standalone app is a limiting factor, but what bugs me the most is that on the web based version (beta.cloud.com) in Windows you can't upload a huge bulk of items at once. I tried 20 pictures, that worked. Tried 40, that worked. Tried 55, that worked. Tried all 2000 of them and it did nothing, just looked at me confused.

I know things could change drastically when Apple's own apps are updated for it on the 17th, but then again it could not.

So, where do you think it should/can go from here?

2. danielbrowning macrumors member

I really like it all on paper, but they haven't told us anything about how Family Sharing/iCloud Drive/iCloud Photo Library is all going to work for a family. Not knowing if I'm going to have to make changes to our current arrangement and how to set it up on Wednesday is a pain. I'm either going to break Document/Photo sharing or Find My Friends as it stands at the moment.

3. PhiLLoW macrumors 6502

In my opinion it still lacks a lot of features.

Icloud drive should have a dedicated app for file management and also the ability to save files directly on the device so they're available offline.

It's pretty senseless to store all your important files in icloud but can't access them when you're on a train or in an area with bad signal. I still hope there will be an update and more features soon.

Right now Google Drive fulfills all my needs.

4. sayhitokyle macrumors member

sayhitokyle

I agree with most here. Once they release a standalone app for file management I'll probably delete Dropbox as the prices of iCloud are much more favourable.
    However I currently rely on dropbox from moving photos/files between my iPhone and MacBook in an instant, so for now I'll have to use both.

5. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

There is a windows client coming,

6. Matt T macrumors regular

Matt T

I haven't used either of the betas so can somebody please tell me - is there a way to save files (PDF files, for example) to iCloud Drive from an iOS device? And how can I access those files on my iPhone/iPad?

7. daijholt thread starter macrumors 65816

daijholt

As of right now, no. As it stands, specific apps need to be updated so an icon to "upload to iCloud Drive" shows when you tap the share button. No doubt a load of those will happen on Wednesday, including Apple's own apps, but whether it restricts what you can upload from a particular app (only pdf's from adobe reader for example) remains to be seen.

FYI, you can't save .zip files, as an example, from safari directly into iCloud Drive, not yet anyway. Tapping "open in.." in safari gives me the option to save to standalone apps like evernote and dropbox, but there's no iCloud.

8. bushido Suspended

bushido

too confusing. ill stick to dropbox where i can make folders and know where everything is based on a project instead of guessing which app may be able to open it