Peoples' reaction to jailbroken iPod?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by iPhone 62S, Aug 24, 2009.

1. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

I went into the Apple Store once and hooked my jailbroken iPod touch to their WiFi to get some homebrew apps and plugged it into one of their speakers (to charge it) then started mucking about with themes, when a employee came over to ask if I needed help and saw my homescreen (I had new icons, video background, the works) and said that it looks cool and asked if he could have a play with it and started asking how I did it! At this point I was smiling and thought it was funny that a Apple Store employee thought my jailbroken iPod was so cool! Even better was within a few minutes pretty all the staff in the store were gathering around to see my amazing jailbroken iPod touch and asking how I did it, so I ended up teaching them all how to jailbreak, it was awesome! :D

I was wondering if anyone else here had any cool stories like that, not just in Apple Stores but friends' and families' reactions etc, thought it'd be fun to read some!

2. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

No cool stories, but my friend had a jailbroken 3g, and I thought it was pretty nifty.
    Im not surprised the employees thought it was cool. They dont care if the warranty is there or not. They're nerds like the rest of us.

3. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

The only experience I had with my JB 32Gs was when I went to the Apple store to by a case the CSR offered to clean the phone prior to sliding on the case. The CSR took the phone and I saw him swish the lock screen. then he commenced on lecturing me about jailbreaking.
    Well I said very loudly what are you doing in my phone!!!! this prompted the manager to hustle over to the desk. I asked the manager, please explain to me how wiping down the iphone constitutes permission to go into my phone. As the manager took the phone from the CSR he noticed my email was opened, and rolled his eyes at the CSR. I got a 20% discount off the case.
    Now when I go into the apple store if the phone leaves my hands it is turned off.

4. iPhone 62S thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

LMAO! :p

5. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

LMFAO!!!!!
    :D:D:D i would imagine a bunch of bees attractive to a light, in that situation.

Wait i have so many questions, u where stealing or borrowing apps? from the apple store?, and many other goodies????:confused:

6. iPhone 62S thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

I was using the Installer to get some new apps on my iPod (this was a long time ago, before the App Store even).

7. conor ordan macrumors member

re

I visited my uncle last week who works at Apple's Europe HQ, he was showing me all the apps on his 3GS, then I showed him my Jailbroken 3.0 iPod Touch (1G). He was amazed, and had never seen or heard of Jailbreaking before, I was surprised that considering his position and being an iPhone user, he had never seen a Jailbroken device before or even heard about it. Anyway, thats my story

8. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

You guys are met with adoration and amazement. I'm met with frustration.:( Here's my story:

My school is all asian and cheap so everyone jailbreaks and uses illegal versions of apps. I buy my apps and have never jailbroken because imho it's a waste of time/effort. I remember how when the 2G came out, everyone was saying that it didn't come with jailbroken firmware and how Apple was trying to scam them. People think I waste money because I buy apps instead of pirating them. Go figure.

Oh, when I sold my 2G, the guy reported me to the school because I didn't jailbreak it and encourage people to buy their apps/music instead of just downloading them for free.

9. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

People don't jailbreak to simply download apps for free. That's like saying people use torrents to download warez when it is not the case.
    Most people jailbreak to add extra functionality such as themes and ringtones etc. You seem to be stereotyping the 'jailbreaker' as a pirate.

Maybe you should try jailbreaking sometimes, you might actually like it.

10. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

No complaints about jailbreaking except those people who whine about Apple not fixing an iPhone/iPod touch after it had been jailbroken.

11. Xavier macrumors 68020

People usually ask how I got a different theme, and I'll tell them I Jailbroke my iPod.

Most of the time they don't know what im talking about.

12. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I know... but people where I live only do it for cracked apps. Not many go for the themes or ringtones.

13. DrawnToLife macrumors regular

Well my reaction when I saw my friend's jailbroken iPod Touch long before I knew what an iPod Touch fully was, I was like "Wow, how'd you do that~" and "How come yours looks different from hers~" So yeah, I was kind of surprised when I first discovered jailbreaking, but now I'm kinda like, "Oh you jailbroke? Alright."

I'd probably jailbreak only for themes, and skins and stuff, and possibly take an app or two (But just to test them before I buy them).