Pep talk to you about the 15" rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MikesGravity, Jan 2, 2013.

1. MikesGravity macrumors 6502

I want to start by saying I am extremely OCD. I take meds and everything.

I had my rMBP about 2 weeks before I even heard about the screen issues. $2000+ for a laptop (even for a big apple fan) was a big deal for me.

I had some sluggishness and discovered turning off the automatic graphics fixed it. In my paranoia about that I still didn't come across and posts about the displays.

Once I found out about the displays and how to check if its a Samsung or LG, it drove me nuts not knowing (I had no issues) and I told myself I won't check. Well... I checked. Disappointed to find I have an LG. BUT I have no issues. I have tried all the "tests" and cannot duplicate it. My screen is bright, colors are vibrant and no IR. I'll wait a few more weeks before I get too excited but it doesn't even bother me. And trust me, I'm anal. I exchanged my yellowed screen iPhone 5's 4 times to get a good one.

This is just a pep talk that good LG's are out there! If anyone wants any info about it let me know. FWIW I bought it at best buy. Not open box.

2. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

LG Here and no issues , take an extra pill and relax not all LG screens have issues. Fellow Michigander here:D

3. MikesGravity thread starter macrumors 6502

Lol thanks. I was worried the colors were better on the Samsung blah blah blah. But I'm happy with it, it's flawless.

4. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

Way to prescribe an overdose doctor.

Hopefully a lot of the LG issues are clearing up. The rMBP 15" is a great computer that should be enjoyed for years to come.

5. MikesGravity thread starter macrumors 6502

Ha ha I'll be ok. I just wanted people to see this and not get discouraged by the other threads.

6. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

Hard to type my sarcasm :rolleyes:
    And for what its worth I don't know of any anxiety medication that taking one extra would cause an overdose but I was just kidding

7. bill-p macrumors 65816

I made the same speech 3 months before my LG screen showed IR.

Not to be a downer, but I don't think you're in the clear until a few months down the road.

8. Spikeywan macrumors 6502

Mine's LG, too. It's beautiful to behold, especially when you put it alongside a PC. Not noticed any problems, and not even going to run a test. Remember Schroedinger? No way I'm opening the box! :)

But... What is this "turning off the automatic graphics" of which you speak?

9. Mdwall macrumors member

Auto graphics switching between the integrated and discrete GPU's. there is an option to disable it in system preferences>power just uncheck the box and it won't switch between the two and will only use the discrete one. Personally I don't notice the difference for my uses and it does affect battery life so it's personal preference really. Nice to see a positive post about the LG screen out there as this is what mine has as well.

10. MikesGravity thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh I know dude, I was messing around.

----------

What MdWall said is what I am talking about. I "only" have the 2.3/8gb/256, it suits my needs fine but once in a while ML can get a little slouchy (it did on my 13" 2009 MBP 8GB too), turning off automatic graphic switching seems to make it run smoother. I leave auto on when just doing normal, everyday tasks but if I'm switching between fullscreen apps often, I'll turn it off. Or just showing off the laptop to PC users.

IMO the scrolling stutter people talk about is blown out of proportion. I never had Lion on the 15 rMBP, mine came with ML and I don't really see any stutter with it.

Bill-P that's a little discouraging, I am hoping to experience it before my Best Buy return window closes.