Peppers; How hot is too hot? (Thunderclap headaches)

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by statik13, Apr 10, 2018.

1. statik13 macrumors regular

statik13

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I am a total lightweight when it comes to spicy foods. My threshold is pretty low.

3. Pakaku macrumors 68020

Pakaku

I have a pretty high tolerance from when I used to keep trying hotter and hotter foods. But these days I'm tired of hot sauces that are just all pain and no flavour or substance. There's maybe one habanero sauce I could recommend to anyone looking to start out, that tastes pretty good and is reasonably mild for a habanero sauce, versus the tens of other sauces I've tried the past few years.

4. kazmac macrumors 604

kazmac

While I can handle Habanero (scotch bonnets)in small doses, I not would go past that. I love spicy, but I prefer taste. Will not eat something spicy when it causes my body to react in any way it normally wouldn’t. No Carolina Reapres or Ghost Peppers for me.

5. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

I can eat most stuff hotter than most people I meet, but I do prefer flavour over spicy.

Funny thing though, when I eat really hot (100k+ scoville units) chilis, I get hiccups and throat cramps at the same time. It is quite weird and pretty uncomfortable, so I've practically stopped trying to outdo myself in that area.

6. v0lume4 macrumors 68000

v0lume4

I like just enough spice to have the sensation -- I like that extra dimension that it adds to the dining experience. But no hotter. I have no idea where my "threshold" is on the Scoville scale, but I'd imagine it's fairly low. A constant searing, but not necessarily painful, sensation is about as high as I can go.

edit -- Hot for the sake of hot is pointless, IMO. But spice with flavor is totally worth it. Buffalo sauce and crushed dried red pepper comes to mind.

7. rpmurray macrumors regular

It's not hot enough if I can't feel the burn when it comes out the other end.

8. baruchsienna macrumors newbie

baruchsienna

Tasty: The Art and Science of What We Eat by John McQuaid
    I found and recommend this book for those interested in the topic. It's a fascinating and informative read on the history and evolution of flavour, and the science and history of taste. Topics include why humans like (or don't like): bitter, sweet, hot (spicy), salt, and more.

9. Mousse, Apr 13, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2018

Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

10. statik13 thread starter macrumors regular

statik13

11. walterwhite macrumors 6502

walterwhite

Cholula + Eggs = Breakfast Awesomeness Not too spicy and lotts of flavor!