Per app bandwidth consumption

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Ireground, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Ireground macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hi there.
    My iPhone is using a lot of bandwidth usually at around 3am, a time when I'm sleeping, so an app must be trying to update or transfer or whatever. Usually it uses about 150Megs in about 10 mins, which is ridiculously high, since video only uses about 20Meg/10min. I've searched for an app that gives details about which apps/processes are using the bandwidth but I can't find anything, only apps that monitor global bandwidth consumption. Does anybody know of an app that does per app monitoring or of any other way to figure out which app is chumpin on my data?
    I'm on a Rogers iPhone 4

Thanx

2. gh0001 macrumors member

this thread is a bit old, but does anyone know if there are such apps available?

3. mig0 macrumors member

I tried an app called Onavo that appears to work. I'm not fully certain but it seems like it worked. There are 2 apps- Onavo extend and Onavo count. I used count. It does install a profile and creates a VPN to their servers to help track data. I'm a bit worried about this and I'm planning on uninstalling in a few days.

I bought a tmobile iphone 5 (and managed to scratch the front :mad: somehow). I was using up data like crazy- blew through 4.5 gb in 2 weeks, blew through 3 gb in 4 days but I wasn't doing anything. It appears there was some sort of bug or problem with my gmail (set up as exchange) where I sent ~3gb of data via cellular, and Onavo helped me pinpoint the app as being a problem. I disabled email on the native mail app, and also updated to 6.1.4 firmware and since then I've had no problems with excessive data usage.