Per Month?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mikemac31, Dec 17, 2008.

1. mikemac31 macrumors newbie

On the purchase page of the macbook I want to buy under the total sum of the purchase is a per month value. What exactly does this mean? I lease the macbook from Apple and pay monthly and if I don't make the money they repo it? I'm looking for more details because I did not see much information on the website.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Ignore the Apple VISA and just buy it straight off or with your normal card.

3. mikemac31 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I don't really have enough money to pay directly, so would the monthly lease still apply with any card?

4. nutman macrumors regular

It's not a lease. It's just a third party payment system that makes you pay a few hundred on top of what the computer normally is. As the economy is, you should be saving up and buying it when you have the cash. Never let your interest build up, especially in a time like this when credit card companies are jacking up their rates to recover money.

5. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

If you use a credit card to buy something from the Apple Store (or indeed from any other vendor) your monthly payment is a function of the issuing bank's billing practices. If your card requires a monthly payment of 5% of your balance, then that's what it would be.

The monthly payment you see on the Apple Store is if you apply for credit from Apple and get approved for it. I agree with the other posters - applying for more credit, especially for something like a computer, isn't a very good idea. Just think - nearly three years from now you'll still be making payments on it.

6. therealdt macrumors regular

I'm with the others here, don't buy on credit. you're posting this from a computer, so this purchase isn't needed.

7. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

harsh advice to be sure. I say just get it. you'll enjoy it tremendously. and think of it as an investment. you'll make back that money in no time. you only live once. live for the moment. and what's the worst that can happen?

8. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

yea sounds like me haha

9. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

Yeah, it's fun for about 4 weeks, and then the new sexiness wears off and it's just another computer that you now owe a ton of money on. If you can't pay for at least half of it up front, you can't afford it. That goes for just about everything.

(The only real exception I can think of is a house, obviously).

10. mdgolom macrumors 6502

Someone will need to explain this comment to me.:eek:

11. Fire Samurai macrumors newbie

Sold into slavery

You'll be sold into slavery... that would suck. Imagine two years down the road, you're still paying for your computer, a new one comes out but you can't get it because you're still paying for your old one. And then you'll buy the new one on credit because, hey, you did it before. What's another $2000 in debt? Before you know it, you're working for the credit card company... I agree with others. Don't buy it on credit. It's not worth it. Pick up an extra job for a few months or save your money to buy it, but don't buy it on credit.

The worst that can happen? Although probably not the worst, this would suck: Get into debt, can't pay your bills, become stressed and mean, get kicked out of the house, evicted, or foreclosed on, lose your sanity and all hope for life, your friends and family give up on you and sell you into slavery, and then 50 years down the road, taking your last breath you reach out and touch your 60-year-old computer and say, "at least I have you, baby." Apple then contacts your nearest living relative and makes them pay off the rest of the computer. :D

12. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

He's suggesting that you still go ahead with the Apple VISA when it's more sane to use your own card or pay all at once.

But if you use your computer for real work, you obviously charge for it. Therefore, your new computer pays for itself by allowing you to do more work, faster.

13. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

ha ha I'm sure thats what most of these people losing their houses and declaring bankruptcy right now said at one time.

whats the worst that can happen lets buy that $500k house lets live for the moment

or

whats the worst that can happen lets apply for that credit card with a 10K spending limit, lets live it up for the moment

14. hobbbz macrumors 6502a

hobbbz

Of course the Apple card has 6 months no interest right now so if you can pay
    [Cost of 'Book] / 6(ish) /month then you're still good.

2000 MacBook with taxes, applecare, accessories, etc. means only 333 dollars a month.

Add a little padding to be safe and $400 a month ain't too bad for the best of the best.

And you'll only be paying the cost.