Percentage of Computers with AppleCare Protection Plan

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pianodude123, Aug 11, 2009.

?

Do you have Applecare

1. On my laptop

12 vote(s)
    48.0%
  2. On my desktop

8 vote(s)
    32.0%
  3. On none

11 vote(s)
    44.0%
  4. Don't own mac

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. pianodude123 macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

I am doing some research and I would like to know how many people (if you could find a good reliable source... my googling led me to none) bought the extended Applecare with their Laptop and what percentage bought it with their Desktop.

Here's a poll for a little pool.

2. highertechnology macrumors 6502a

Not sure how to answer. Just bought my MBP and have every intention of buying Apple care but not until my phone support is near expiration. So technically don't have it, but will.

3. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

Its not everyday that you get a free $900 Logic Board and Free Work/Installation Fees. AppleCare saved our lives.

4. DrRock macrumors regular

^

I voted that I had it, though it's expired. I only ever needed it for my cinema display which had pixel issues twice. I don't know what I would have paid for that repair, so I hope the cost was worth it.

I wish it was still current though, with my recent (apparent) logic board issues. $900 to fix that will sting.

John Doe, was your logic board problem on your Mac Pro? And what were the circumstances if I may ask?

5. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

My iMac G5 monitor just stopped working. It wouldn't turn on and if it did it would last for 30 seconds. I had a 3 year plan on it (purchased in '06) which would have expired 5 - 15 days after I brought it in to the shop for repair! They purchased a new logic board which would have cost anywhere from $700 - $900. The iMac is worth about $500. It was purchased for $1700.

My MacBook Pro is fine, although I worry all the time about some glitch or horrible HD fail. I've got 40GB of free space out of 185GB on the MBP, and 170GB of free space left on my 500GB external HD.

6. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

Since AppleCare has been available, the only Mac I didn't get it for was an original G4 Mac mini. We do have two MacBook Pros right now for which we haven't yet purchased AppleCare, but we will.

I've only had two Macs with ongoing problems & a 17" Cinema Display (ADC) that had the backlight go out. I had a G4 QuickSilver that had the SuperDrive replaced three times & the hard drive replaced 3 weeks before AppleCare ran out. Most recently an original MacBook Pro I bought refurb in June, 2006, was replaced by Apple with a brand new MBP this February after multiple attempts at fixing an ongoing overheating problem. Those three things have more than paid for what I've paid for AppleCare over the years.

Don't buy AppleCare directly from Apple. I buy it from LA Computer Company as I find they usually have the lowest prices.

7. PCtoMAC? macrumors member

This will be my first Mac, I just order a MBP, and while I didn't order it with the computer I fully intend to get it down the line.

8. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Actually this is NOT a poll to determine the percentage, its poll to determine the percentage of those who bought apple care of the the subset of all buyers who sign up for mac rumours of the subset who read this while its recent of the subset who care enough to read your question of the subset who respond of the subset who respond truthfully.
    If this is for college or some such, have your tried calling Apple to ask? (try their press office?)

9. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

I have never bought a new Mac and every one was out of warranty when I bought it. So no AppleCare on any of them.

Both of them needed it though.

10. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

There's no way you'll get any kind of reliable numbers off a poll on these forums.

I didn't vote, but I have AppleCare on both my alu MB and my MBP.