Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sparkie1984

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
a small village near London
morning guys, first post here, just thought id see your views on the following

i picked up an i5 imac a few nights ago from an apple store. checked the screen while i was there for any cracks, seemed fine!

got it home then had a nagging feeling i should power it up and check it. (its an xmas pressie) so i fired it up screen seemed ok on the white background then it just stuck with a flashing folder.

after some research i inserted the snow leopard boot disk and then i was instructed that my hard disk didnt have an os on it! it was a blank hdd!! i was told i had to enable journaling and i also noticed the disk was called diagnostics.

does anyone know if they run diagnostics on it first? then maybe mines just slipped the net. bit concerned that it was able to leave their factory with no os installed on it whatsoever!

its installed now anyway and it boots to the welcome screen now as a new mac should. hopefully itll be ok, seems to have a very very slight yellow tinge, no apparent dead pixels so far and runs quiet so id rather not return it if i dont have to.

any views why it would be like this?

scottness

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2009
Room 101
Very strange. I think you're ok if you don't mind the yellow. Never heard of a mac shipping without an OS. Strange.

sparkie1984

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
I'm just concerned that I'm going to get something worse than I have already. I'll wait until it's in use and see how it is I think. If all else is ok I'll leave it, if it's yellow I'll wait until apple fix it correctly

I'm worried I may end up with something far worse

Aug 26, 2008
Ok well...here would be a "sinister" thought...is there any chance Apple is selling returns/refurbs as new? There have been a glut of returns, we know that much, and not many on the refurb website for sale at all.

Also, when I returned mine I totally wiped the disk, and didn't reinstall the OS...sounds like the kinda thing he got, no?

sparkie1984

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
maybe...... i must say i broke the tape etc when i got it, although i understand it could of been re-taped i suppose!

is there any way of ever telling? the imac was in totally mint condition, everything was in its little plastic homes all seals unbroken etc....

but saying that they could of just put new mice etc in....... also batteries were at 100% not say 65% as if used. although batteries were in the mouse and keyboard... maybe thats normal

really hope it wasnt returned plus im sure thats illegal according to uk law at least

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
Ok well...here would be a "sinister" thought...is there any chance Apple is selling returns/refurbs as new? There have been a glut of returns, we know that much, and not many on the refurb website for sale at all.

Also, when I returned mine I totally wiped the disk, and didn't reinstall the OS...sounds like the kinda thing he got, no?

Apple refurbs come with an OS installed.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
but saying that they could of just put new mice etc in....... also batteries were at 100% not say 65% as if used. although batteries were in the mouse and keyboard... maybe thats normal

The batteries were in my keyboard and mouse. It reduces the packaging. Sounds lie you might have had one messed up at the imaging stage at the factory. Annoying, but I sometimes think it's a good thing to use your own image.

sparkie1984

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
does that mean that they pre-load all the hdd's before they get installed into the imac? (like do a load of them in bulk? as surely they wont sit there at each imac for 40 mins)

like i said im not very up on it all :eek:

crut

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2009
does that mean that they pre-load all the hdd's before they get installed into the imac? (like do a load of them in bulk? as surely they wont sit there at each imac for 40 mins)

like i said im not very up on it all :eek:

Correct, they will pre "install" from a master image onto the hard disks before they go into the machines, if yours turned up without an OS install then it is likely it slipped through the imaging stage.

sparkie1984

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
ah! how bizarre :confused:

i hope that doesnt mean that it had a problem, so they then run diagnostics on it, then just chucked it in the imac!

any ideas why it was called diagnostics? with approx 2mb used?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.