Perfect 3.2 JB vs. upgrading to 4.2???

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by lokerd, Nov 23, 2010.

1. lokerd macrumors 6502a

lokerd

I have had my iPad since just a couple weeks after the release of the 3g. Before that, I had the wifi from nearly day one. Both have been JBed since the day I had them when the JB was released.

A couple of months ago, I finally got everything set up like I like it.

I have VM running, Infinidock, SBSettings, SB Categories, browser changer, MyFi, and a whole lot of other stuff. Really very happy with the setup including just one screen with 14 folders in the dock, and everything all nice and tidy. I am really starting to get the hang of where stuff is, and getting moving around, and getting Google Calendars set up, and learning to get the iPad to be a productive tool, not something that is constantly needing to be tweaked.

In addition, I have thousands of pictures and a bunch of movies all nice and neatly installed.

Should I even BOTHER thinking about the upgrade? Will there be any benefit at all? Or will I lose countless hours trying to upgrade it and reinstalling everything?

Will there be something that developers can do with 4.2 that I don't already have with 3.2?

Thanks for any feedback!

2. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Yes you should Update...but Not now....there is NOT an official JB tool, all you got right now is very al[ha stage and it is tether at the moment, so just be patient and wait, once the official tool is out, you will be able to upgrade and get everything working just the same way you have it now.

3. garretruh macrumors member

At this point, if you want to keep all of your jailbroken apps and tweaks, don't even think about updating. The 4.2 (really 4.2.1) jailbreak is very unstable at this point. Wait for a few weeks, and then jailbreaking will be much stabler and you're favorite Cydia apps will have been updated. As well as the fact that Cydia itself is currently incompatible is 4.2.

4. lokerd thread starter macrumors 6502a

lokerd

Thanks...but I wouldn't DARE update now. I know that.

My question is why ever update?

Is there something in the new 4+ os that is not possible with 3.2? I mean, I guess eventually, there are going to be some apps that are only written for 4, and in fact have already seen a few that say iOS4...so I guess I JUST answered my own dang question. BUMMER!

5. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

You might like some things better. I like 4.2.1 folders better than SB Categories and I was a big fan of Categories. Might not have as many options but it's so easy creating folders in 4.2.1. I also like the Multi-Task. I was getting tired of Circuitous and the other Cydia MT apps. Still can't wait until 4.2.1 JB comes, I still miss a few things from Cydia. VM at the top of the list.

6. Worf macrumors regular

Pro-Jailbreaking
    1. Find My Iphone - I mean you can finally track you iPad if you lose it
    2. Multitasking compatible apps
    3. iOS4 apps and iPAs
    4. folders

Reasons not to update
    1. Still terrible notification system
    2. No untethered jailbreak available
    3. Orientation lock switch is now mute switch
    4. Incompatibility with most jailbreak tools

7. xraytech macrumors 68030

It's obvious that you are a tweak freak.

In the short term stay JB 3.2 but there will come a time when your favorite JB App will only work in JB 4.2.1 and you'll have to ditch JB 3.2

8. xraytech macrumors 68030

From what I understand, iOS 4.2.1 uses VM. Can someone confirm this?

9. Sparky9292 macrumors 6502a

FUD Alert

Ugh, please stop with the FUD. Jailbreaking does not kill your battery, blow up your ipad, make it unstable etc....

Some of the Cydia apps however can... Just don't install those.

10. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Multitasking takes the game to an entirely new level honestly. Backgrounder was nice on iOS 3 but it killed the battery and you had to manually tell it what you wanted to run. Apple's implementation may not be true multitasking but it doesn't zap your battery and is so elegantly added you'll forget it's not running everything in the background.

Also, AirPlay is a freaking huge reason, for me at least, to upgrade. I already use it a lot.

- The notification system isn't any different in iOS 4 so that's not a reason to not upgrade. It's moot.
    - There is a jailbreak tweak to change the orientation lock back
    - Most of the major tools I use are updated or just about to be.

Amen. Winterboard is a huge offender. I've stopped installing it because it would always be the reason for my problems.

11. BFW122083 macrumors 6502

I've had a jailbroken iPad since April on every firmware since. I have to say...the native YouTube app finally works well on 4.2.1!!! Wireless speed seems to have improved as well. That's the only reason ive upgraded and gone with the tethered jailbreak, for the wifi speed stability in my home. Granted this might not have changed for everybody but it definitely did for me :)

12. urfankhaliq macrumors newbie

Whats VM?

13. rikbrown macrumors regular

Native multitasking is nice - no need to be selective about the apps you multitask because it doesn't waste battery. You can still use Backgrounder multitasking on apps you pick (I do this for IM apps).

14. Saturdays macrumors member

Saturdays

I upgraded today, didn't lose any photos or settings or anything. Even my safari tabs stayed the same.

Just use redsn0w and you should be fine. It's tethered so you have to reboot each time with the exploit, but after you have everything set up you probably will never need to reboot again.
    There is no restoring of the firmware with redsn0w btw, just uses the firmware ipsw bundle to run the exploit, but does not rewrite your iPad's data.