Perfect Airport signal, but no internet connection

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by gkc4, Jul 14, 2008.

1. gkc4 macrumors newbie

Background info: From our house we pick up this random free wifi network (linksys) and I usually bum off of it when I have to use the computer that isn't hooked up to our cable modem. Morally questionable?, maybe, but hear me out...

I got a new macbook about 2 weeks ago and it picked up on linksys instantly and I could use the internet. However, the connection was spotty and Airport generally only picked up 2-3 bars.

But today, I now have perfect connection but when I try and open Safari or Firefox it says "no internet connection". I checked my Network and my Airport connection has the green dot and everything, so what's happening? Is it because whoever owns the linksys wireless increased their security or is there something wrong with my mac?

2. Fenir macrumors regular

Theres a problem with the router connecting to the internet, not with the MB connecting to the router. If it were locked, you were need a password.

The router needs to be reset :p

Edit: If you want, try typing in 192.168.1.1 in a URL and see if a password/username box comes up. If it does, then there isn't anything wrong on your side (if you want to call it that).

3. OrdinaryVanity macrumors newbie

I have linksys on my Macbook too but I thought it was just a neighbour. Mine requires a password though. Weird. :S

4. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Macbook wireless dropout, it's called. A bug with Mac OS X. With our Linksys router, my mom can be using the wireless just fine on her G3 iBook, while I have full signal right next to the router, and yet no internet.

A most annoying problem. There's nothing you can do except complain to Apple.

5. gkc4 thread starter macrumors newbie

@ Fenrir: So since I have no way to get to the router, there's nothing that can be done, right? I just wanted to know if there was something wrong with my macbook.

@Beric: Does this problem only occur with Linksys?

6. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

7. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

No, the problem happens on all types of routers. Some people seem to have found that buying the Airport Extreme solved the problem, while others say even that didn't help.

The main evidence is that in most cases, a Macbook will experience dropout, while much older wireless macs are just fine.

8. gkc4 thread starter macrumors newbie

I typed this in, but it just goes to the not connected to internet screen. Does this mean it's my macbook's fault?

9. showtime macrumors 6502

for linksys routers I think it's 192.168.0.1

10. John01021988 macrumors 6502

Nope, its 192.168.1.1

If it does not work, u should try resetting ur router or connecting it directly with a network cable.