perfect compliment to smart cover

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by andross77, Apr 17, 2012.

1. andross77 macrumors regular

I just bought a green belkin snap shield from best buy and it is the perfect compliment to the smart cover. It snaps over the corners so you still have the entire black bezel to hold, plus when the smart cover is closed it is actually resting on the screen so the magnet can hold it tight. Lightweight and durable and covers the entire back. it's hard plastic the fits the new iPad perfectly. I would definitely recommend it.

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

3. ivada macrumors member

Have you searched the forums? The Belkin snap shield will crack on the corners, no escaping from it. Sorry!

4. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I've had mine since the new iPad launched. No signs of stress or cracking. Most of the issues resulted from using the iPad2 version of the Snap Shield.

It's a great case, works perfectly with the Smart Cover (for me at least).

5. Snesley Wipes macrumors regular

That case is junk...

6. ChrisMc73 macrumors member

ChrisMc73

I've had the non-secure version of this snap case in my cart on Amazon a few times now and removed it. Also had the pre-order secure (green) one in my cart too, till I read the magnetic part was rough and could possible scratch the back of the iPad, not sure if thats true?

I wonder what the over all consensus is on this snap case is vs. the speck products smart shell? I was told by a sales rep on chat, from their web site that the smart shell was going to be out in 10 days, for the new iPad, but only in clear and black. No plans for the colors, as of right now.

I have the green smart cover and just want a shell on the back to match it, I guess clear is ok but not sure which brands are rating out the best for the new iPad.

7. geoelectric macrumors 6502

geoelectric

I've had two Snap Shield Secures, one for iPad 2 and one 3rd-gen.

On both, the magnet was perfectly smooth on the inside. One poster said he saw a stain corresponding to the magnet location; I can't figure out for the life of me how the magnet might do that. I had no concerns on my cases.

Both Belkin cases broke corners when on the 3rd-gen iPad, btw. Amazon reviews for the latest round of cases show some reports of the same there.

8. TC25 macrumors 68020

It's not a compliment to say the Belkin case is a perfect complement to the Smartcover.

9. ChrisMc73 macrumors member

ChrisMc73

Do you think the Speck SmartShell is a better product then? I had the green on one my iPad2 before I sold it for the new iPad, I included the SmartShell in the sale, since I knew it wouldn't fit my new iPad. I loved the SmartShell, it covered the aluminum back perfectly right up to the glass screen. Then with the Apple Smart Cover I felt I had a very nice and simplistic full coverage for the iPad 2. So I'm hoping to get that again. I liked seeing the Belkin Green because I was told Speck wouldn't have colored ones this time. But if they are cracking thats not good.

Is the Belkin made of the same strong plastic that the Speck one is? (For those who've seen/owned both?) I also liked how the Speck one was a little bit of a matte or grip texture vs. a smooth plastic. Is that how the Belkin is?

10. geoelectric macrumors 6502

geoelectric

Belkin is matte/grip, yes. I can't comment on the Speck myself. Perhaps someone else can.

11. andross77 thread starter macrumors regular

yes, all the time. that's why i didn't want something like the smartfeather that locks it in.

----------

i treat everything i buy with care. i don't toss my ipad around or slam it on things. i'll report back if it cracks but right now it doesn't look like it's stressed at all. Just looks like a perfect fit on the ipad.

----------

it's actually not. But since you provided soooo much evidence for why it is....

12. ChrisMc73 macrumors member

ChrisMc73

Does the Belkin cover all of the aluminum/metal back along the corners and sides?

13. ivada macrumors member

I did exactly 0 of those things (tossing my iPad around, and slamming it on things) and was very gentle on my iPad, but the corners still cracked. Good luck though!

14. andross77 thread starter macrumors regular

i'm gonna go ahead and not believe in "spontaneous cracking" on this product and just treat it nicely and i'm sure it will cover my new ipad's back perfectly and work with the smart cover perfectly.

Good luck with finding an inanimate plastic object that doesn't break itself with no help from it's owner. That can be difficult.....:rolleyes:

15. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Yes, except where the cut out for the Smart Cover is.

16. geoelectric macrumors 6502

geoelectric

Dunno why the eyerolling and second guessing. Mine broke spontaneously (check my thread re: Snap Shield breaking in three days) as did a few other people's. Amazon has several reviews mentioning the same.

Yours might end up fine, and Belkin is offering replacement of cracked Snap Shields, pending them being in stock to ship (another sign that it's not treatment doing it).

But it does seem to crack for many people spontaneously, without rough treatment. My guess is it slightly stresses corner to corner when you carry it or otherwise manipulate the iPad, and that's causing stress fractures.

Check on yours in a few days and let us know how it goes. But, you know, if it does end up spontaneously cracking, do come back and eat some crow, would you?

17. ivada macrumors member

This

18. 0m3ga macrumors 6502

I use the Targus Vucomplete+. Black, rubberized back cover, that 'snaps' itself around the edge of the ipad2, but doesn't cover the bezel. I like the feel of the no slip rubber. Fits perfectly.

[​IMG]