Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alyshehata

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2012
I just got my LG IR dented RMBP replaced. Samsung screen, no cosmetic issues. Hopefully no IR. Probably no dead pixels.

Apple customer service rocks. If anyone has any questions, let me know :)

henry72

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2009
New Zealand
How do you know it is perfect when you haven't test IR :D

I'd like to know what you're going to test and how you test it. Cheers and good luck!
I just received my 6th replacement unit, unfortunately it is LG and there is IR :(

alyshehata

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2012
How do you know it is perfect when you haven't test IR :D

I'd like to know what you're going to test and how you test it. Cheers and good luck!
I just received my 6th replacement unit, unfortunately it is LG and there is IR :(

I'm probably gonna leave a page open for a few minutes and then check the solid background. In my LG it was really obvious. Didn't need to "test". I also just tested (well looked) for dead pixels, and it looks good. Guess I was lucky

stuaz

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012
Finally a good report on the rMBP.

There has been many good reports, unfortunatly people are more likely to come onto a forum to complain, than make a post saying they got a perfect product so it can give the impression that everything is wrong, etc.

zipur

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2011
The great state of Texas
Maybe they would be happier if the rMBP had the new macbook approved NVIDIA's Kepler-powered Quadro K5000 GPU card. It's a little pricy but I'm sure can get it in the next rMBP but it should meet everyone's need. Google it for the price...

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
Mine is perfect too! ( Sammy screen here too ) :apple:

I've run every dead pixel, IR, bleeding test there possibly is lol and it's been great! ( knock on wood )

Even left the checker board image for a few hrs while I stepped out ( screen on indefinitely via caffeine ) and zero IR !!!

Very happy with the rMBP :)

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
Maybe they would be happier if the rMBP had the new macbook approved NVIDIA's Kepler-powered Quadro K5000 GPU card. It's a little pricy but I'm sure can get it in the next rMBP but it should meet everyone's need. Google it for the price...

Not sure if a joke or sarcasm or...

I think you're poking fun at how a lot of people here are extremely hard to please. If so, LOL!

do1984

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2012
Sorry for the noob question, but, how do you guys knows who built the screen? Where do I check that?

toondw

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2009
Northumberland, UK
The problem with forums is that posts are only started if people HAVE problems....

for anybody thinking about buying one don't be put off by negative posts.

its a shame some people have problems but the majority of folks don't. Its like anything really, problems exist. I have always found apple to be brilliant if i ever reported a problem. Touch wood in 6 years of buying apple products i have only ever had 1 problem with a i phone.

my rMBP is the LG screen and i have no issues with it, the software, hardware or the quality of the chassis.

Zeov

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2011
Odense
i have almost only good things to say about the Retina, only problem i'm having is two dead pixels that somehow appeared after 2-3 weeks of use.. i guess i'll have to see if Apple will fix it for me.. but i live in Denmark, we dont have any Apple stores.

Seany92

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2012
I have my rmbp also. No issues to report not one dead pixel or IR issues(samsung screen). The only issue I could see is the battery life, I get about 5 and a half hours doing web searches and stuff, that would be my only criticism is it could last longer.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Sorry for the noob question, but, how do you guys knows who built the screen? Where do I check that?

Open up the terminal and enter the following command:
ioreg -lw0 | grep \"EDID\" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

If you see LP in the beginning of the string you have a LG screen
If you see LS in the beginning of the string you have a Samsung screen

boto

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2012
IR may not be visible but I'm sure backlight bleeding is present somewhere on the display.

kahuna0k

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2012
Me too! Today I've got my first mac, a 2.7/16/512 retina and it is just astonishing, the screen is the biggest change since SSD introduction (and I've being running 1600x1200, 1920x1200 and 1920x1080 since ever). I've got a Samsung with no dead pixels, no bleeding, just perfect. To say something bad, the bottom is a bit loose in the left, about half a millimetre, but I suppose next time I visit a Store, I would ask them to tighten the screw a bit.

I'm using 10.8.1 in best for retina resolution and have no lag at all in the UI, only when I put a folder in the dock in list mode (Applications for example) and the list has several pages, scrolling it is really laggy, as it is my first mac don't know if that is the expected behaviour, but instead of scrolling is changing whole "pages".

Really happy, really really happy. Text is just printed on the screen!

Regards

sno1man

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2011
Yes sadly i was so eager to get some of the new Apple Shiny, that I managed to get one of the very first units that arrived at my local Apple store.

Because it was part of the very first batch, it came with the (you guessed it) LG screen. <SIGH>

But wait....... I have no IR issues, no stuck pixels, no hinge issues no lag... It's an outstanding computer, the best I've owned.

Given how it's just only in the last few days that Apple has been able to keep up with demand, I'm almost certain that my experience is what the vast majority have had.

As many have stated this forum is a magnet for the OCD crowd. However I'm not completely dismissing some of those that have had issues. As with any mass produced device you will have the occasional defect.

And even here, it seems that Apple has been responsive to those that have had issues and have quickly fixed/replaced the systems.

I do wonder about those that have "had to " exchange their computers 4 plus times. If there really is widespread issues with these systems, I wonder why those affected put up with it. It calls to mind the old expression, "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me"

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
There has been many good reports, unfortunatly people are more likely to come onto a forum to complain, than make a post saying they got a perfect product so it can give the impression that everything is wrong, etc.

This is so true, reading this forum you could be lead to believe the rMBP is one of the worst laptops ever, when really it is one of the best.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
Yes sadly i was so eager to get some of the new Apple Shiny, that I managed to get one of the very first units that arrived at my local Apple store.

Because it was part of the very first batch, it came with the (you guessed it) LG screen. <SIGH>

But wait....... I have no IR issues, no stuck pixels, no hinge issues no lag... It's an outstanding computer, the best I've owned.

Given how it's just only in the last few days that Apple has been able to keep up with demand, I'm almost certain that my experience is what the vast majority have had.

As many have stated this forum is a magnet for the OCD crowd. However I'm not completely dismissing some of those that have had issues. As with any mass produced device you will have the occasional defect.

And even here, it seems that Apple has been responsive to those that have had issues and have quickly fixed/replaced the systems.

I do wonder about those that have "had to " exchange their computers 4 plus times. If there really is widespread issues with these systems, I wonder why those affected put up with it. It calls to mind the old expression, "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me"

Usually people that love their products don't usually come onto a forum to be vocal about it. No clue why this happens. I have an LG screen also and it's wonderful. The vibrance of the colors is perfect. Saw a Sammy screen at the Apple store and the colors were too deep for me, kind of like an exaggerated Photoshop image.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.