perfecting iTunes (screenshot)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MynameisMud, Aug 25, 2008.

1. MynameisMud macrumors newbie

I'm having trouble getting my albums to group up together. I have checked the spelling of the artist, album, and album artist yet some of my artists are not grouping. The majority is working fine, it's just a few bands i am having trouble with for some reason. For example the band "Corrosion of Conformity" the album "Deliverance" There are 12 songs, broken up into groups of 1, 3, 1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 1.

I've removed all info and artwork except for the song names. The artist and album are all identical.

thanks in advance for help.

Attached Files:

2. esaleris macrumors 6502

Usually, that has something to do with the way "Sort Artist" or "Sort Album" has been used, which is different from the Artist or Album tags.

3. MynameisMud thread starter macrumors newbie

well i just applied all the songs with the same album artist and this fixed the problem. normally i leave this blank and all my other albums worked just fine. not sure why?

4. MynameisMud thread starter macrumors newbie

i have 2 more questions:

2. How do i fix my settings so that the albums of each artist appear in order of their release?

3. In Finder, the file where i keep all my mp3's, how can i get Finder to ignore the "THE" in front of some bands. For example: I want "THE Ramones" to be in the R section, not in the T section alphabetically.

5. atoothelex macrumors member

atoothelex

try selecting all of the songs in the album and making them part of a compilation. I don't know why iTunes works like that, but it fixes it for me

6. MynameisMud thread starter macrumors newbie

i resolved my first problem with post # 3, although i didn't have to mark the compilation, thanks though.

7. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

For #2, in iTunes if you click on the album column until it says "album by year", it will sort by artist and then sort the albums by year.

For #3, not sure of an easy way to get finder to ignore this, but at least iTunes itself will display in the correct order. I have "Keep iTunes Music folder organized" unchecked and can then name the file without words like the (and file names are all that finder should care about), but depending on how many song files you have that could be a lot of work. You would have to rename each file and then when iTunes complains that it can't find the song, point it to the new file name.

8. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Picture 1.png

If you click on the 'Album' text at the top of the column, it will cycle through sort options.

EDIT: Already answered by jzuena!

9. MynameisMud thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks i had tried the "album by year" before, but now i realize i'm gonna have to fix the years in my info.

thanks for all the help.