Perfectly Fine RAM Causing Kernel Panics?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Davidish, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Davidish macrumors member

Hey guys,

So I got my MacBook Pro Late 2011 serviced by the Genius Bar (they outsourced to Texas?) for a faulty logic board/battery that resulted in the computer not recognizing the battery.

They also replaced my third party RAM. I'm was using 2x 8GB G.SKILL DDR3 1600MHz. On my Product Repair Summary they said my this RAM was causing "Kernel Panics" and replaced it with the stock 2x 4GB. I called bs because I never had a problem with my RAM so I put the 2x 8GB sticks back in and ran an Apple Hardware Test and Memtest. Both which said the memory was fine.

Todays the last day I can return my memory. Are the technicians just being overly caution because it isn't Apple-certified RAM are should I return the sticks and get "Apple" ones?

Attached Files:

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I guess they wanted to be sure that their repair was completed and no other hardware issues were there.
    Your RAM should be OK unless they fail a hardware test.

Run Apple Hardware test and there are plenty of RAM test software out there, just google them:
    http://osxdaily.com/2011/05/03/memtest-mac-ram-test/

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

I think you go by: if the machine gets kernel panics with new ram, go back to the old ram. Apple techs are known for replacing add-on ram with stock apple ram. Anyone taking a Mac to the genius would be well advised to replace any addon ram with original apple ram.

4. Davidish thread starter macrumors member

Hmm okay. So since my RAM passed both the Memtest and Apple Hardware Test AND I'm experiencing now issues, it's just probably the Apple techs doing their own little thing?

I didn't know Apple techs were known for replacing memory with Apple-stock ones! Glad to know!