Perfecty cropping a widescreen movie to 16:9 for iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pufftissue, Dec 30, 2008.

1. pufftissue macrumors regular

Hi,

I have a problem with the iphone's video player. Many widescreen movies are in 2.35: 1 aspect ratio, and I feel that the vertical height of the movie is too small for comfortable viewing. However, when I see a 16:9 tv show, it is plenty fine b/c it almost fills the screen. I wouldn't mind chopping off the right and left sides a bit to fill the iphone's screen a bit more so that it plays like a tv show's aspect ratio.

Do you know how to accomplish this? I saw it in Pq DVD but there has got to be a free way to do this. The issue is that I can cut and crop a video but I don't want distortion...I'd just like the width of the original movie to be cut from the right and left sides so that more of the movie fills the screen . Zooming all the way in with the video player gives 4:3 and that just looks too odd.

Thank you!

2. Ant1-Hero macrumors regular

Ant1-Hero

Download handbrake, it gives you all kinds of options

3. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Why bother with the extra conversion? Just double tap the screen while the movie is playing on the iPhone. It will zoom in to fill the screen automatically. That should save you a lot of re-encoding.

4. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

While playing the movie on your iPhone, double tap the screen. Done.