Perform full charge when receiving new iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by MicDK, Nov 13, 2009.

1. MicDK macrumors member

Hi everyone!
    First of all, thank you for this awesome forum. I've lurked for a while, but haven't participated in any of the discussions until now. Hopefully you can help me out on this question :D

So I just ordered my first iPhone yesterday (3GS 32GB black :D) and have always heard conflicting advice about the battery when getting a new phone. Some people say that you should always charge it fully before using it and then deplete the battery completely before charging it again, but I've also heard that it doesn't matter at all?

Can anyone shed some light on this issue for me?

In advance, thank you very much!

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

It doesn't matter. Use it out of the box until it gets low and charge it

3. John T macrumors 68020

John T

All new batteries need "conditioning" and do not reach their maximum efficiency until they have been charged/recharged a few times. Therefore it is adviseable to completly charge the battery before using the phone. Thereafter, recharge at about 30/40%.

No more frequently than once a month, allow the phone to discharge completely - then recharge. This will recalibrate the battery.

4. MicDK thread starter macrumors member

Alright, thanks for the input so far - and thanks for the link, Resist.

According to that thread, it is best to perform a full charge and then a full discharge. So I won't be able to sync my new iPhone with iTunes until after that discharge - and the recharge - is done, correct? Kind of annoying, but not that big of a deal :p

Thanks guys!