Performa 5200CD Floppy Problem

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by ldefoe, Mar 14, 2016.

1. ldefoe macrumors newbie

ldefoe

Anyone know what's up with my floppy drive? When I put a floppy in either it just sits there and the computer doesn't recognize it at all OR it'll spit the floppy right back out and say the disc is locked, regardless of what position the lock switch is in. Please help me, this is my only floppy drive and I, hoping to use it to put MIDI files on a floppy for my player piano, thanks!

2. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Dirty heads are almost always the cause of a problem like this. Short of taking the drive apart, I'd try finding and running a cleaner disk. These usually have an absorbent pad onto which you put a cleaner solution(often alcohol) and then let the drive work over it.

3. havokalien macrumors 6502a

havokalien

Due to age dirt and dust on sensors and heads are the first to clean and check, but as we find there are capacitors on the floppy drive, and the computer motherboard that if cleaning the drive does not bring it back to life recapping the floppy (also lubricate moving parts) the motherboard and power supply will all be suspect. These caps are way past their longevity.