Performa 6360 upgrade processor

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by wts, Feb 10, 2010.

1. wts macrumors member

wts

What processor can i upgrade to from the factory processor ?

Now i know that spending money to upgrade is somewhat silly. However buying something more powerful from eBay or where ever is even more expensive mainly due to shipping costs.

2. Mars478 macrumors 6502a

Mars478

3. Archon Gold macrumors 6502

I'd assume for a nice weekend project so that he can have a nice old school gaming computer.etc

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

What you need is the Sonnet Crescendo G3 L2 Cache upgrade. I had the 250Mhz model in a Performa 6400/180. That with my 8mb ATI Rage Pro, 192MB RAM and Apple 1710 Display rocked Age of Empires 1, Doom 2, Duke Nukem 3D, Sim City 2000 and Civilization Call to Power in Mac OS 9:D.

It looks like those went up to 500Mhz.

5. wts thread starter macrumors member

wts

Yes an accelerator card with more power then the factory processor.

WHY?????? Just trying to improve on a computer apple gave up on improving after one year or so in production.

WHY?????? I love those legacy macs that you can go inside and in my case take apart and unable to put back together.

These new fandagle iMacs ( such as my iMac late 2009 edition ) are for me impossible to take apart.:D:D

Thanks for the url to show me what it is i actually need. Why would Sonnet stop making them ?:D:D

I love Sonnet's cards/PCI's and have used them in all my upgrades. They are truly a plug and play installation. Sonnet also provides an excellent installation manual that is welcomed by this old gooofer who only pretends he knows how.

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Meh, too bad. I threw away around 50 of those cards 2 years ago.

7. wts thread starter macrumors member

wts

Were ?

Those cards are are hard to come by and can be easily sold if eBayed or placed in for sale at many legacy computer web sites.

Although i think :D:D you need the driver for the card or it may not be recognized. Lucky me i have several original sonnet floppy disks with the drivers for the sonnet cards i bought from them. All the drivers as i examined them thru Conflict-Catcher seem to be the same.

8. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Hmmm - slightly off topic, but related. Would that upgrade also work in a Performa 6300 (not 6360). If not, which card would I need (My friend has one on his desk he hasnt used in the 6 months since I persuaded him to get an iMac G5 (he needs classic)), and we want to take it to the max-specs, or as close to as we can, just because :p

9. wts thread starter macrumors member

wts

I would Emil Sonnet with that question. They are incredibly responsive to questions about their "legacy" cards and have always provided me with information and suggestions where to locate their out of production cards. Just another reason i always use Sonnet's cards. In fact i will be buying a card this month from them for my G4.