Performace difference from unibody macbook to 13" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chameleon81, Jun 18, 2012.

1. chameleon81 macrumors 6502

Hi ,

I have my aluminium Macbook since 3,5 years. I upgraded it with 500GB HDD 8 GB ram and it used to work well.

Unfortunately it is kind of dying (possibly due to tomato sauce spillage last year :) ) and I'm planning to buy a new computer.

I was checking 15 and 13 MBP and found 15" little bit expensive for my budget.

If I go with 13" would I feel considerable performance difference compared to my unibody macbook?

Also can I install my current rams into new 13/15 MBPs? (not the retina one)

Thanks for your help,

2. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

I would actually go for the mba 13

and it appears that you have the 1st unibody, if so yes it should be a good performance leap

3. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Agreed on the 2012 Air 13", unless you really really need the large hard drive. The SSD in the Air will make a huge difference. You can get it with 8GB RAM for $1299.

The 13" MBP will feel faster than your old Macbook for CPU intensive tasks, but it probably wouldn't be as significant as going to an SSD.

Also, as far as your old RAM in a new MBP goes, I think it would work but it would be slower than the RAM that comes in them.

4. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

I would go for the low end 15in.
    The quad core processor is far batter compared to 13in.

Is your RAM DDR3 or DDR2?

5. chameleon81 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi folks,
    Thanks for your replies.

My ram is DDR3 so I believe they would fit and work.

SSD is not option for me because I use a 500 GB HDD and were thinking to upgrade it. I have lots of photos and documents plus I need Windows on my machine because I need Excel 2010.

Are ram & HDD easily accessible in new 13&15 MBPs?

Thanks again.

6. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

The non retina has not changed at all compared to the old unibody.
    The layouts are the same.

I suggest you take put your optical drive and change it to optibay.
    This will allow you to put a HDD in the optical drive slot and a SSD in the main bay.