Performance advice required please...!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MrSmooth, May 5, 2012.

1. MrSmooth macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, i've got a MacBook Pro 17" 2009 2.8ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4gb 1067mhz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 512mb and 500gb hd.

I use it solely for video dj'in using Rane Serato Scratch Live program with the Video SL plugin.
    I need to make it more responsive and faster so just wondered if some good advice could be given?

Im currently about to upgrade from 4gb to 8gb of ram as I was told that it is the maximum amount this machine can take, but I was also thinking taking the route of upgrading the the original HD to an SSD.

Kind Regards.
    Matt

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The ram will help, and the SSD will improve performance for all disk based actions. I'd also consider getting a newer machine if your budget will allow. There's only so much performance you'll be able to squeeze out of that machine.

3. MrSmooth thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi maflynn, don't get me wrong the machine still cuts it but I just want to get the very best I can out of this machine at the moment.
    Im going to consider next year what Apple has to offer in it new line of new spec 17" mbp's but for now I'm after some advice really on the upgrading to a SSD drive as my 8gb is on it's way. I know my way around my mac user wise , but most of you guys on here your pro's! haha
    I can do the basic upgrades etc but your knowledge on here is far greater than my own.

4. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

SSD makes the whole machine feel like it is turbo charged. No more waiting on a slow platter drive. Far and away the best performance upgrade you can do for your machine.