Performance and specs vs. PC laptop?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by hungry ghost, Sep 14, 2012.

1. hungry ghost macrumors newbie

Hi,

Just wanted to hear from any dual mac/PC users out there - I've been looking to pick up a secondhand macbook for remote working and have been thinking the unthinkable – which is I could get a similarly specced PC for a lot less.

I was looking to get something in the region of a 2008-2010 model (Dual 2.0 processor; 4gb RAM), but I think I could just about tolerate Windows for a second machine if it means saving a bundle of cash.

Anything I should be aware of in terms of performance issues between mac and PC that goes beyond basic processor speed and RAM?

Thanks in advance!

2. vistadude macrumors 65816

Yeah make sure the screen resolution is good. A lot of the low end PC laptop screens look horrible. Also make sure you get an Intel core processor, not a pentium one.

3. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

Something I've always noticed with windows is that as you add system updates, security patches, and service packs the OS gets slower, and slower, and slower.

I've never had that problem with OS X.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

4. hungry ghost thread starter macrumors newbie

Good points, thanks. The screen quality is very variable IME, I've seen some really awful ones though it's true.

Interesting point about the OS. I'm hesitating on the whole Windows thing – ideally I'd want to run Mac OS on a hacked PC but I know that's not a straightforward thing by any means.

Think I might just forgo all the hassle and shell out a bit more for the macbook; think it will save me grief in the long run.

Cheers!!

5. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

6. hungry ghost thread starter macrumors newbie

I can see the 15.4" starting from about £400 s/h - this is about my limit though so I'll probably end up going for one of the black or white 13" books which can be had for around £300, or even cheaper for a 2007 model it seems.

Thanks.

7. Elijen macrumors 6502

Elijen

Also depends on what you will do on the laptop. If you will not do any heavy tasks the OS (in case of PC) will be the thing that will slow you the most. Not the CPU, RAM, etc.

8. hungry ghost thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the comments - took the plunge in the end and picked up a s/h PC. Very good specs considering the price - it's working speedily with a fresh OS install but my word does Windows like to update itself at every opportunity.

I was interested to see how much Windows 7 emulated mac OS beyond the superficial UI design. Seems not much... Windows still gives 5 unintelligible menu pop ups when 1 simple instruction would do.

One day I might even tackle a Hackintosh :)

9. MaggieNoodle macrumors newbie

You'll always be able to get a more powerful laptop for half (or less) the price of its Mac counterpart.
    Don't like Windows? Try Windows 8. It is much faster.
    Refuse to run Windows?
    Install Ubuntu 12.10.
    UNIX code is the core of Mac OS X anyway.... You all do realize you are running Linux with a fancy UI?

Intel Core i7 4Ghz
    12GB Corsair DIMM DDR3
    Crossfire Ati Radeon 6870 (x2 GPU)
    1200W PSU
    1TB Hard Disk
    Liquid Cooling
    EVGA X58 SLI3 Hyperthreaded motherboard