Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

machaven

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2011
The Great Southern Land
Hi,
I'm looking at possible upgrades for my Early 2009 MacPro (duel core). I have 24gig of RAM installed and had upgraded my video card to the Radeon 5770 three years ago. I use this machine as my central system at home for general use as well as using it for Final Cut Pro 10 and Lightroom.

I am not in a position to buy a new Mac Pro nor the latest iMac. So I am looking at cost effective measures to upgrade.

Would there be a significant boost to performance installing a Radeon 7950?

Thanks

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Hi,
I'm looking at possible upgrades for my Early 2009 MacPro (duel core). I have 24gig of RAM installed and had upgraded my video card to the Radeon 5770 three years ago. I use this machine as my central system at home for general use as well as using it for Final Cut Pro 10 and Lightroom.

I am not in a position to buy a new Mac Pro nor the latest iMac. So I am looking at cost effective measures to upgrade.

Would there be a significant boost to performance installing a Radeon 7950?

Thanks

First and foremost, you need to figure out why your cores are dueling !!! (;))

Seriously, have a look at Barefeats.com.

For all intents and purposes they are the answer to your question. Pretty sure they would say a 2nd 5770 is the answer for FCPX

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.