Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macguy93

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2012
Hello Everyone,

I was at the apple store today and with several problems occurring with my machine, they offered as compensation to upgrade my existing 5770 to an ATI 5870 for no extra cost.

For my video editing needs (adobe premiere pro, Final cut x) and my 3d/visual effects needs (adobe after effects, cinema 4d) will i see a noticeable performance boost with the upgraded card?

I know its not a quadro series card, but hey, i got it for free!

Thanks in advance!

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
As far as I know the improvement with the 5870 is not too noticeable but take the offer. Hard to turn down that's Free. The opportunity may not come again

macguy93

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2012
COOL!
Jump on it!

It might not be the best card you can get now, but it sure is a better card than the 5770.

As far as I know the improvement with the 5870 is not too noticeable but take the offer. Hard to turn down that's Free. The opportunity may not come again

I have the choice between the graphics card and given the choice of a 2TB internal hard drive. However, the only reason I considered the hard drive was I felt I would benefit more by the extra space. But, I wouldn’t want to accept the graphics card if I was not going to notice a difference in my software (premiere pro, after effects, C4D)
I was never intending on going out of my way to buy another ATI card, but if I will notice an improvement from my 5770 I will certainly jump on it. If it’s something that I won’t even notice then maybe I’m better off with the HDD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.