performance boost with new hard drive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Skibsted, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Skibsted macrumors regular

Skibsted

I have a 2.33 MBP Intel Core 2 Duo with 3 GB RAM.
    I currently have 20 GB left on my internal hard drive and I'm about to get a bigger one (the scorpio from wd).
    My question is:
    Would I also get a performance boost when I get so much free hard drive space?

Thanks

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well the data will be more toward the center of the platters which should allow those to be accessed faster.

3. Skibsted thread starter macrumors regular

Skibsted

Thanks for the quick reply!
    But is that performance improvement only theoretically, barely noticeable or is it something that you'll most definately "feel"?

4. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

I doubt you'll see a performance difference that matters. It's mostly something that's theoretical.

5. mgacam2 macrumors regular

mgacam2

From what I'v heard there is a pretty decent performance improvement. From first hand experience jumping from my 120 GB hard drive in my 2.2 SR MBP to a 200 gb 7200 rpm hard drive, the computer felt snappier and loaded things quicker. I got the 200 gb drive for free and am currently waiting for the 500 gb spinpoint from samsung that comes out this month. They may have a slower rpm but because of the density it performs better.

6. Skibsted thread starter macrumors regular

Skibsted

hmmmm ok,
    so now I have 2 contradicting answers... I can see where this is going...
    mgacam: don't you think that your speed improvement was due to the fact that you replaced your 5400 hard drive with a 7200?

Thanks guys

7. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

i think you would notice a bigger increase with a speed change more than with a capacity change. 5400 to 7200...you will see a difference. 160Gb to 250Gb i doubt you would notice anything. except the cache might be larger in the 250 which would make it a bit faster in loading.

8. tip macrumors 6502

tip

I went from a 100 to a 320. I noticeable performance increase (or decrease), other than the capacity.