Performance Comparison Series 0 vs 1/2?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by cforster, Sep 16, 2016.

1. cforster macrumors 6502

Anyone find any videos that show the comparison in performance between the original Apple Watch and the Series 1/2? I'm very curious how much faster/smoother the new dual core chip will make it.

WatchOS 3 made a HUGE difference. Wondering if the new ones will be notably faster. Not seeing a lot online yet, which is very surprising.

2. profets macrumors 68040

I haven't seen any videos, but if you can you should try to check it out in person. I've been using OS 3 on my original Apple Watch all summer. While I found it an improvement, the watch still felt slow overall.

Now, having played with a Series 2 for the past few hours, I'm blown away by how fast it is. Truly a different level of speed. 3rd party apps that had yet to be opened on the new watch launched in seconds.

Definitely notably faster, if not significantly faster.

3. sfwalter macrumors 68000

sfwalter

I find the Apple stuff is faster but after apps launch they are still slow on series 0 watches. For example the amount of time it takes for the Pacer step counter app to update is still ridiculous. I wonder if apps will always suffer due to bluetooth transfer rates.

4. tivoboy macrumors 68030

I think many apps need to be fully updated and are not yet.. give it a few days or a week and they will probably get updates to take advantage of the GPU and wOS3

5. Donoban macrumors 6502a

Donoban

Everyone is saying watch os3 is faster on the original watch but I still see a lot of lag still. Just launching the breath app for example will see stuttering animation and long launch times.

It's just a limitation of the hardware I'm sure, I'm very keen to see how much faster the dual core and gpu are.

6. Aml216 macrumors 6502a

Aml216

A mysterious location in the middle of nowhere
    Everything is wayyyyyy quicker. The watch is just nicer to use now!
    OS3 was still a bit laggy on the original Apple Watch. But with this upgraded processor... wow. Launched a workout almost immediately. :)

7. vjl323 macrumors regular

While I realize this is an old thread, I've been unable to find out some info that people in this thread may know....

I have an original Apple Watch [Series 0], running 3.1. I'm curious as to the speed increases for Series 1 owners who went from a Series 0 to 1. I know the dual core CPU is a bit slower in the S1 vs the S2. For my use, I don't need the GPS in the S2 [i run/cycle with my phone in an SPI belt], and though the brighter screen would be nice, I'm mainly concerned about performance, as watchOS 3.1 is still pretty laggy for me on my S0. Would upgrading to an S1 make me as blown away by the speed as owning an S2 would be?

Thanks!

8. Donoban macrumors 6502a

Donoban

I did some YouTube searches on this and found some great videos comparing he different models.

To summarise, performance is the same between the s1 and s2.

The only thing I'm not sure is if the gpu from s2 made its way into s1. I'm assuming yes.

So yes, the cheaper s1 purchase will give you the performance boost at a cheaper price.

The brighter screen only kicks in when outside in bright light. Apparently it takes 4x times power to max th brightness so it's only enabled when required.

9. vjl323 macrumors regular

Thank you very, very much for that! Unsure why I didn't think of visiting YouTube for researching this! Sigh. Glad to hear that the S1 performs as well as the S2. The extra brightness isn't a big deal to me, as I haven't had issues with that [i tend to be out among lots of trees when running and I've never had issues with bright sun causing a problem reading the watch face].

I'll be keeping my eyes out for an S1 soon [perhaps a Black Friday sale later in Nov].

Thanks again!

10. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

It's definitely not night and day different. A slight increase but nothing major. Certainly not twice as fast.

11. Mjb347 macrumors newbie

Anyone test the speed difference with "Hey Siri"? My S0 is fairly slow and laggy.