performance difference between base C2D iMac and i7 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NotToWorry, Apr 21, 2010.

1. NotToWorry macrumors newbie

I spent some time searching the forums, as I thought there should be some info on this, but I couldn't find anything relevant to this specific query.

I'm wondering how the performance of the C2D in the 21.5" iMac would compare to that of the mobile i7 processor in the MBP. And if anyone felt like elaborating, how might the machines as a whole (in their stock configurations) compare to one another, specifically if they were to be used primarily for extensive work in Logic Pro? I also plan to be doing some HD editing in Final Cut Pro.

I realize the VRAM in the iMac is only 256gb, vs. the 512gb in the i7 MBP. This is surely a factor on the video editing front...

I'm sort of clueless about the differences in performance between mobile hardware and desktop hardware. Is the desktop C2D nearly at par with the mobile i7? Am I right in assuming that 'numbers' aren't everything?

2. jungeliest macrumors member

C2D is fine.

Hyper-threading is not beneficial for audio work. http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=9899526
    And the new platform is still dual core.

But hey, since you have the resources to buy a new MBP w/ i7, why not buying the i5 iMac (which does not have hyper-threading issues!) ?

3. iketeru macrumors member