Performance difference between these two MacBooks

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DJ911, Jan 4, 2016.

1. DJ911 macrumors newbie

Hey all,

I've had a mid-2012 MacBook Pro for about two years now (with no major problems at all) and have loved it. This past week I have purchased a late-2013 retina MacBook Pro. I was wanting to know if anyone would know the performance difference would be between the two.

Mid-2012 13.3" MacBook Pro:
    750GB HDD
    2.9GHz i7 processor
    Intel HD Graphics 4000
    8GB RAM

Late-2013 13.3" retina MacBook Pro: 512GB SSD
    2.6GHz i5 processor
    Intel Iris 5100 Graphics
    8GB RAM

Also, if anyone knows a ballpark number I could sell the 2012 MacBook for that'd be much appreciated. I have it dual-booted with Windows 7 if that adds anything.

Thanks in advance!

2. keviig macrumors 6502

Well, graphics will se a nice increase in performance. CPU is probably not a big upgrade, seeing as you're going down from the i7 to the i5. The big difference however, is the SSD, being several times faster than the HDD. Meaning a lot quicker boot and program load times. Battery life should also be better.

3. DJ911 thread starter macrumors newbie

So you're saying the 2.6GHz i5 processor would slightly outperform a 2.9GHz i7 processor?

4. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

No, it depends entirely on what you do with it. CPU stuff will likely be slower, but disk based operations much faster.

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The difference in CPU speed isn't going to be very much. The 2.9GHz i7 is a 3rd generation processor and the 2.6GHz i5 is a 4th generation processor.

The 2.6GHz processor is going to be slower than the 2.9GHz, but you'll never notice.

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

Since you've owned both, you should know, don't you think?

Performance at doing what, exactly? If all you do is listen to movies and music and browse facebook, any performance difference would be near impossible to notice.

7. DJ911 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for all the replies so far everyone. Pretty helpful. The reason I ask is because I am a college student with an advertising major/graphic design minor and do a lot of video editing with Adobe Premiere Pro and Photoshop and Illustrator projects.

I currently own the mid-2012 MacBook Pro, but I've only ordered the late-2013 retina MacBook Pro. It's still in the process of shipping to me. So as of right now there isn't a way for me to test it hands on.

Like I said above, I do quite a bit of video editing, as well as working with Photoshop and Illustrator. I will also be installing Windows 7 via Bootcamp for some "light" gaming. I'm wanting to know how well performance towards those tasks will be.

8. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

TBH in your position I would return the late-2013 and put an SSD in the mid-2012...

9. DJ911 thread starter macrumors newbie

A big reason I'm wanting the late 2013 MacBook Pro is because of the retina and SSD. If the CPU performance is only slightly slower or unnoticeable it won't concern me. But I've also been told the i5 would perform slightly better because it's a 4th gen processor compared to the i7 in my current MacBook being a 3rd generation. That's what I'm trying to find out with this thread.

10. thunng8 macrumors 6502a

No, the i7 for most things that are CPU bound would be slightly faster. Not very noticeably though. The perceived speed of the the new retina would be much faster because of the flash storage.

11. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

retina is up to you but performance (which was your original question), will be enhanced by the SSD, for which you don't have to purchase a new machine. As has already been said, the CPU difference on its own is pretty insignificant between the two, the difference in real-world performance and responsiveness will come from the SSD.

TBH if you want CPU number performance then google and look up the CPU benchmarks...

12. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

The graphics card on the newer one will be much better for video editing and gaming, I think thats what you will notice performance wise. Of course the whole system with PCIe SSD will feel much faster as well.

13. snaky69 macrumors 603

Very little performance difference will be seen. It'll open apps faster and boot faster, that's about it. I'd put money towards a SSD in your current machine but that's me.

14. DJ911 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the replies. I was able to purchase the 2013 MacBook for a pretty good deal and I'm wanting to sell my 2012 MacBook. I feel like I can sell the 2012 for about the same price I bought the 2013. I just want to know if anyone would be able to help coming up with a "reasonable" price given the following:

Mid-2012 MacBook Pro
    750GB HDD
    Intel 2.9GHz i7 Processor
    Intel HD Graphic 4000
    8GB RAM
    Adobe Creative Cloud 2015
    Microsoft Office 2011
    Bootcamp partition with Windows 7

15. snaky69 macrumors 603

The software doesn't matter as it could easily be pirated. It adds no value. Check completed ebay listings to get a good price gauge.