Performance difference with my MBP 15" 2010 and the new 2011 one(gaming?)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by APAV, Apr 18, 2011.

1. APAV macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I have a 2.67 i7 2010 15" MPB(the higher end model)that I got last year. I use it for work and for college but I also like to play games on it.

I recently got an Apple newsletter as I noticed the huge performance boost of the newer models. I went to a review site and my specific model nearly doubled in benchmark scores with the newer model. That doesn't seem like something that would normally happen. It seems like a rarity thats just too good to ignore. And this summer with the semesters being over I probably will go back to full on gaming(probably Portal 2 and WoW for the summer).

My question to you is, since I can't go by the opinion of one site, what is the performance difference between the 2010 model I have and the newer 2011 one? Basically I am wondering if its worth it to sell it for several hundred dollars less than I payed for it and get the newer model now, or wait until 2012 to get the newest model then(if its going to be an even bigger difference in performance)?

Excuse my poor judgement if I'm wrong, I probably seem like a maniac for using this comp for a year and already wanting to get the newer model. Its just that a lot of sites are making it seem like my model is fodder compared to the newer ones, and if so I might not let this offer pass by.

2. APAV thread starter macrumors newbie

3. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

Your current laptop is plenty fast. Be happy with what you got!

4. APAV thread starter macrumors newbie

It actually gets a little stuttery during games, nothing gamebreaking, just unpleasant. Thats why I would love to know how much of a performance boost the newer one is!

5. Gol27 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I had the 2010 high end mbp an did exactly what you are proposing. An while the 2011 is a fairly decent jump in graphics I personally wouldn't say it was worth the added expense nor hassle of selling my old computer. I was half expecting to be able to play games all on ultra settings with all the bells an whistles while running at 70fps. An while you will exprence a boost (e.g. You can play wow on high instead of medium) is it worth the expense, I'm going to have to say personally no.
    Everybodies usage and expectations are different so at the end of the day the choice is yours.
    I personally would put the extra money into a solid state drive.

6. Udden macrumors newbie

If you are gaming a lot then I would suggest getting a desktop computer instead. A mbp will never be a great gaming machine.

The 2011 model will obviously increase perfomance but it's still a poor choice for full time gaming.

A cheap way to increase framerates is to install Boot Camp. Mac ports are horrible.

7. APAV thread starter macrumors newbie

Really? How much of a fps increase would boot camp bring to games? And I'm in college can't really use a desktop. I'm a student first but I do some gaming(but I will be doing a lot more this summer).

8. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Depends on the game but on average i would say ~20-30 FPS.

9. APAV thread starter macrumors newbie

Really, how much more did it cost from what you sold it for to buy the newer model? I'm still debating it, but I think I'm gonna do it because I have enough time to find a buyer, plus I want a macbook that I can keep for gaming for a couple years until I replace it(not gonna upgrade for a while if I get the 2011 one), and I don't the the 330M can honestly hold on for another year with the current mobile gpus out.

10. APAV thread starter macrumors newbie

Well for one I'd definitely be playing wow a lot, Portal 2 when it comes out, Skyrim if it comes out for macs, just most modern games. But with my 2010 macbook pro WoW usually gets really laggy and freezy for me, so I would like to come back to playing it again with a solid experience.

Bootcamp sounds like it could help though.

11. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Whether or not you upgrade to the 2011 is up to you and your budget. I will say that if you haven't gotten an SSD in that machine yet you really owe it to yourself to do so. It can help tremendously with game load times among other things.

12. Chazn macrumors regular

The 2012 design overhaul might actually come late 2011 because according to the buyer's guide, Apple refreshes their macbook pros every 8-10 months.

Also during the year 2008, Apple refreshed their Macbook pros twice on that same year.

So you might want to wait until maybe October before you sell your current one and buy the Febuary refresh xD

13. APAV thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately I can't wait for late 2011 I will be away on study abroad which is why I would like to buy now where I can get the most money from my MBP.

I've never had a SSD, so I dont know how big of a difference it creates.

14. JasonH42 macrumors 6502

Rubbish! I have a 2011 2.2GHz MBP with 6750 which I use mainly for work but in Bootcamp with just a little overclocking it runs the games I like fantastically well: BFBC2, all CoD games since WaW, Crysis 2 etc. Absolutely no need for a desktop PC for gaming.

That said I went from 2009 to 2011 MBP and that was a huge leap, not so sure about 2010-2011 or 2011-2012. SSD makes a big difference generally but not so much for gaming.

15. APAV thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you! Just what I needed to hear! I will be selling my HDTV soon(don't need it for the summer, going abroad this fall) so I am pretty sure I will use that money to pay off the difference from my MBP.

Do you think the 2011 model will be able to handle future games for the next few years?

16. Al Coholic macrumors 6502

How did you feel about your current MBP before you found out the line had been updated?

It's a known fact that people's machines operate just fine until they discover newer ones have come out with better CPU's. Then they "magically" slow down to a crawl.

17. APAV thread starter macrumors newbie

Like I stated before, I notice my model freezing up at intense moments during games, just short little lapses it sttuers... a little choppy so it is unpleasant. I said 'make it seem' because I'm not sure if those sites are exaggerating or they really are telling the truth about the performance boost. But you have a point there.

18. barkomatic macrumors 68040

You realize that you are considering going through the hassle of selling your computer and buying a new one -- to play games. That seems like an awfully expensive and time consuming effort just to play a game a bit more smoothly.

Since you mentioned that the sale of your TV would be used to cover the gap between the sale price of your current computer and the purchase of your new one--it doesn't sound like you've got money to burn exactly. :)

19. APAV thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you that was insightful, thats the only reason left I am hesitating to buy it. The hassle is no problem, I got time my semester is almost done. Yes I would be buying it solely for the increase in performance, but I'm almost certain its a huge performance nonetheless. And I have a feeling that the 2011 MBP could hold modern games for years whereas the 330m is failing with the most recent ones. So I would be satisfied for a while.

Eh im 60% for it right now, 40% against it.

-And to your last comment- I could pay for it in full right now without selling my current laptop, but I'm trying to budget a little :) I'd still be making money from my tv anyway, I just feel like its a drastic improvement across the board(I was reading up on some processor differences through the forums). So it may be a worthwhile investment.

20. Udden macrumors newbie

I have the same mbp and while it's true it runs games fairly well it isn't as good as a desktop pc. One of the biggest issues is that it's slowly losing AC power when gaming on max settings. This isn't an issue if you're gaming casually, but if you're serious you will run into trouble.
    Also, gaming on a laptop might be uncomfortable. It's warm and the keyboard isn't optimal. If you use an external monitor you have to turn down the resolution...

I guess what is "great" is a matter of definition. In my world it's a great laptop but not a great gaming machine.

21. JasonH42 macrumors 6502

It'll be cheaper to upgrade now than to build a separate desktop for gaming and the next MBP refresh likely won't be as big a boost. I'd say the 2011 model is good for the next 2-3 years of top games. Medal of Honor multiplayer runs really well, and that engine isn't far off what they'll use in Battlefield 3 which is looking awesome. :D

22. iPhysicist macrumors 6502a

iPhysicist

Gaming? You will go studying abroad and all you think about is gaming? You will face some serious difficulties combining studying and gaming with partying ;)
    Your games will run smoother with the new 15" but the question is should one care about THAT if he leaves for studying? No I say. Care about your studies and socialization with the natives :)

23. APAV thread starter macrumors newbie

Trust me I will be taking a break when I study abroad ;) I will be needing this for this summer and for the few years after I get back gaming wise.

24. iMackPro macrumors 6502

buy the high end 15 inch with an HD glossy screen and a 128 SSD drive. then wait til june and buy an external HD with a Thunderbolt connector. Grab your 8 Gigs of RAM from kingston since you can up to 1600Mhz and enjoy your new baby.

25. APAV, Apr 18, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2011

APAV thread starter macrumors newbie

Is it worth getting the 128 SSD over the 750 HD? Its $90 more, and I'm not sure such a huge downgrade of space is worth it, but I don't know much about SSD's.... Please explain why is it worth to wait till June to wait to get a external HD?

Also is the HD glossy screen worth it as well? And should I really get it with 4GB Ram and upgrade to 8 later? Is 8 much that really of a performance boost?

Thanks for the info! I would like to know.

Edit: I would be gaming on windows 7 64 bit via bootcamp so I am wondering if the upgrade in Ram is worth it, like the game can utilize all 8 gigs.