Performance Differential?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Trout74, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Trout74 macrumors 6502

I currently have a Mac Mini ( 1.42 G4, 512 mb RAM, and the 32mb GPU )

If I were to purchase the 2.4Ghz 1mb RAM, 24" new iMac, what is the performance differential?

i.e:
    it takes my about 8 seconds to load safari, and if safari is open and running then I open microsoft word, I wait about 5-6 bounces, or 10 seconds. If I have three apps running, like itoons, iphoto and safari and i open a fourth I get some beach balls for a few seconds then the app will open about 10 seconds later or so.

burning CD's takes a while, if I burn a full 700MB CD with music from my itoons it takes roughly 15 min. or so, and I dont have a DVD burner.

Whatwill the performance difference be witht he new iMac ( roughly speaking) will I notice much of a difference?

Thanks,
    p.s. I also have a Mac Color Classic from 1993 :eek:, but we wont compare that one, but I use it to play Malestrom, just to make sure it still works!

Trout

2. phytonix macrumors 6502

3. Trout74 thread starter macrumors 6502

that would be great, how do you figure 8X? Do you know the speed scores of a 1.42 G4 I take it?

Trout

4. Hibbsy macrumors member

x8 seems a little optimistic even for this forum.

I have looked into this a bit for my imac (G4 1GHz) and I reckon that at best I might see a 5x improvement on processor or memory bound tasks when i move to my new 2.8Ghz imac.

I did see some speed benchmarks that suggested the real improvement would be more like 2-3 times. But when you actually think about it a 300% increase is pretty impressive.

Your move is a similar one to mine and I think you should expect 2-4 times the performance on most tasks.

5. pcorajr macrumors 6502

If you get the Stock 24" you should see a 5x increase.

You are looking at a huge spet up in the speed of the memory here are the specs of you G4 mac mini

http://support.apple.com/specs/macmini/Mac_mini_orig.html

Also remember that in the near future leopard will make full use of the hardware in the new MAC's that will be a huge increase in performance

6. Trout74 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the responses, im hopeing for a big improvement, as you can see I keep my systems for at least 2-3 years, ill pass my Mini down to a nephew or niece, but I want to FEEL the POWER, if you know what I mean. You only get that WHOAA!! rush every few years.:D

Trout

7. fblack macrumors 6502a

fblack

This might help give you a rough idea, it covers 8 years of macs. It does not include the latest iMacs but it does have 2007MBP and the last gen iMacs...

http://www.primatelabs.ca/blog/2007/06/mac-performance-june-2007/

8. Tom J macrumors regular

Yowser!!! Going from my current PowerBook G3 (FireWire) @400MHz to the new 24"er is (according to Geekbench) X18 faster. :D:D:D I can't wait!!

9. pcorajr macrumors 6502

I hear ya. i just got my first mac and i know i wont be seeing another new computer at least for another 4 years so i ade sure i got something that will last me. Hope you found the answers you needed and do not forget to post pics when you get your new mac.