Performance/experiences of latest MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 5683565, Dec 10, 2010.

1. 5683565 Suspended

Hi all,

I envision that in 3 months or so I will purchase a new MacBook Pro, and I'm certainly hoping that there's an update to the current line by then.

However, can people chip in with their experiences with the following current model? (or models close to it): 2.66GHz Intel Core i7, 4GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M with 512 MB (+ Intel HD).

Basically I'm wondering about the graphical performance, as I accept that the i7 will be a nice quick processor that's not going anywhere anytime soon. Is it possible to take modern games and crank them to their highest graphical settings without a significant frame rate loss? I'm also thinking of future games too, such as Deus Ex 3.

Thanks to all!
    J

2. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Honestly? If I were to do serious gaming it wouldn't be on a mac. It all depends on your priorities. Getting the next macbook does not provide any magical future-proofing for new titles coming out.

It will always be that way as long as Steve feels that uber-thinness is what people really want.

3. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

+1

4. Blue Angels macrumors newbie

Maybe it sounds ridiculous, back 2005 the first reason I bought my iBook is that I dont want to spend any more time on gaming. Now it looks like a perfect wise decision.

5. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Not all games are the same but in general NO. You are lucky if they run at medium/high and you don't have to switch to low. Some Games run pretty okay if they make less use of graphics or run on very old Engines like the Modern Warfare games.
    Often difference between medium and high is also not that big. If you have lower to low that sucks. Battlefield Bad Company runs fluid only on low with very few things you can set to medium. The sound is still awesome in BC2.

As a comparison. If you get the cheapest non entry level GPU for a desktop it is probably faster than a 330M. You really cannot expect wonders but you can still play.

6. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

Remember it IS a laptop. No laptop is = to a desktop when it comes to gaming.

7. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

When you think about it that is a stupid question.
    What would be the point of desktop high end cards that are about 5 times faster if you could play everything in highest graphical quality on well a 5th of the speed.

Your question should have been does graphical quality suck at playable frame rates in modern games.