performance gains: pentium D 2.3ghz vs. 2.26ghz core 2 duo/i3

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by boostmiser, Mar 1, 2010.

1. boostmiser macrumors member

I'm holding out for a supposed 13" i3 mbp.
    I've got a Windows machine with a Pentium D 2.3ghz and 3g ram.
    Using Photoshop or video editing software, what type of performance gains, if any, should I see with a 2.26ghz core 2 duo and 4g ram? What about with the i3 and 4g ram?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not just the CPU and RAM you have to consider. The performance gains with Mac OS X vs Windows will be a factor, as well. Overall, you'd see a noticeable improvement.

3. Inutopia macrumors 6502

Inutopia

Erm.. Photoshop runs slower on Mac OS than windows.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Maybe that's your experience, but not everyone's. Also, it depends on the CPU and RAM, as I said. All 3 factors contribute to the overall performance.

5. Inutopia macrumors 6502

Inutopia

No, thats just the way it is, CS4 is 64bit on Windows.

From John Nack's blog:

In our testing, when an app isn't using a large data set (one that would otherwise require memory swapping), the speedup due to running in 64-bit mode is around 8-12%.

http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2008/04/photoshop_lr_64.html

Care to submit your source?

6. mgacam2 macrumors regular

mgacam2

Well take this into consideration clock for clock, when core duo was launched it was about 50-60% faster overall per clock then a pentium D. When Core 2 Duo was launched it was another 20% faster than Core Duo. When Core 2 Duo Peryn came out it was another 10% faster clock for clock. The Core i7 is about another 25-30% faster clock per clock plus incredible amounts more power saving features and a built in TDP overclock. So adding that up your looking at something around 120% faster clock for clock then your Pentium D per thread and the new core series has 4 threads not 2.

Edit: By the way in terms of getting the new core chips yes core i3 is still fast but save some money and get a core i5 minimum. The i3's don't include TDP overclocking and have a smaller cache.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You're assuming CS4 and a 64-bit Windows OS. CS3 runs faster on Mac, and not all Windows users are running 64-bit. Many are still using XP, for example. Therefore, your blanket statement that "Photoshop runs slower on Mac OS than windows" is not accurate in all cases.

8. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

I believe you need to multiple those percentages not add them. Like 150% * 120% *130% * 110% = 2.57. So the new core ix would nearly 3 times as fast.