Performance Hit from Hi-Res Display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Alpha.K, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Alpha.K macrumors member

I was wondering how big the performance hit from the HR display is? Is it only 3-5 frames or is it signifigant enough that it would cause me to have to lower the settings in some demanding games such as BC2 or MW2.

2. Hansr macrumors 6502a

It's going to be game dependent. You can always set the res to 1440x900 so it shouldn't matter.

3. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

What GPU do you have and how much VRAM?
    With 256 it takes a higher toll than with more VRAM but in general it is always worth it.
    Turning down details and setting noAA looks better than running in 1440x900 on an HD screen.
    Just with the pixels you gain a lot of detail and many of the detail settings like shadows at high and stuff you can hardly distinguish unless you spend your time only investigating the picture quality. The more pixels though show you a clearer picture of some small enemy far away or a bigger area in a strategy game.
    MW2 works well even with the old 330M but you might want to switch of soften smoke edges. That makes hardly any difference and it gets decent framerates in any scene. AA is off too with me.
    For BC2 you would need the new 6750. That is only just playable on the 330M no matter the resolution. You have to switch almost anything to low and that looks much worse than a Dx9 game like MW2 and still I only got playable frame rates like 25-30 average with mins far lower. I only tried a demo though I don't have the game and wouldn't recommend it for a 330M machine.
    A 6750 on the other hand should play BC2 quite well on middle in 1680x1050 too.